dipal-discuss message

Subject: RE: [dipal-discuss] all policies are non-functional?

Title: RE: [dipal-discuss] all policies are non-functional?

Without having spent as much time on this as some on this list, (translate: my comments may seem naïve to some but I am aware of this ;-) it appears to me that the three notions:

- policy
- capability
- agreement
share evidently some common constructs, and Hal's comments below suggest that capability (policy type #2) is a kind of policy.

But can they still all be reduced to a single notion of "policy"?
Is an agreement "some" combination/intersection of two or more policies? Or something more?
Is a capability a set of policy "patterns"?
It seems to me that answering these questions is part of defining the requirements for a policy language, if only because they relate to the concrete applications of policies that - I assume - we have in mind.

Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Lockhart [mailto:hlockhar@bea.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:12 AM
To: Xinyu Zhou; dipal-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org

For several years I have been presenting an abstract policy model in
which there are (potentially) three different sets of policies
associated with every message flow. This means, for example, that for
the request/response pattern, there are potentially six.

The three types are as follows:

1. Policies advertised by a Receiver. These could potentially describe
properties required of messages to be processed by the Receiver. They
might also contain other sorts of policies, such as commitments by the
Receiver to future actions (e.g. keep data private) however these are
not of interest in the present discussion. This category is optional, in
the sense that Receivers for one reason or another (e.g. lack of
standards) may choose not to advertise any policies.

2. Policies about what the Sender is willing to do to the message to
make it acceptable to the Receiver. I maintain that these policies
always exist although they may be implicit in code or configuration.

3. Policies enforced by the Receiver. These are the policies used by the
receiver to determine if and how a received message should be processed.
In general, these policies will not necessarily be the same as those in
#1. For example, they might be more detailed or more lenient. It could
be debated how important it is that they be expressed in the same
language as those of #1. As in the case of type #2 these are always
present although they may be implicit.

Notice that these policies are not limited to Access Control, although
is may be simplest to think of them as such. For example, WS-RM
specifies an way of expressing type #1 policies relating to reliable
message sequences.

Given these types, the processing model is as follows:

A. The Sender obtains the type #1 policies which apply to a Receiver to
which it intends to send a message.

B. The Sender intersects these policies with its own type #2 policies.
There are three possible outcomes.

    1. There is no intersection. This produces a local error. No message
is sent.
    2. The intersection results in exactly one policy set. This set is
chosen to be applied.
    3. The intersection results in multiple policy sets. The Sender must
select one set to apply, based on information in the policy or
elsewhere.

C. The Sender prepares the message according to the chosen policy.

D. The Sender sends the message to the Receiver.

E. The Receiver uses the policies of type #3 to decide if and how to
process the message.

This model implies that there are the following policy processing
functions, with the following inputs:

Discovery(Receiver) {Step A.}
Intersection(Type #1 policies, Type #2 policies) {Step B.}
Selection(Intersection(), priority info) {Step B.3}
Evaluation and Enforcement(policies, context) {Steps C & E)

As Anne has pointed out, Evaluation and Enforcement are pretty well
understood. The options for Discovery are limited by environmental
constraints and thus likely to be the same regardless of the policy
language. Therefore, the focus of this list is (rightly) on Intersection
and perhaps Selection.

Hal

Monitoring",
> http://www.elet.polimi.it/upload/baresi/papers/TES2005.pdf
>
> This paper is interesting because the authors claim that they can do
both
> non-functional policy checking and functional policy checking. But,
the
> authors did not show us a functional policy checking as an example.
>
> In my opinion, the functional policy checking mainly relies on the
> capability of POLICY ENGINE. For example, I figure that the policy
engine
> of
> WS-Policy framework can only do text-level operation, because the
policy
> engine does not know about the semantic of the policy vocabulary.
Maybe
> all
> policy engines of domain-independent policy languages are not
powerful.
> That
> might be a trade-off.
>
> By the way, it would be highly appreciated if somebody can tell me
where I
> can find some materials about implementing policies on globus toolkit.
> have interests in this. I only see one project called gridshib
> http://gridshib.globus.org/
>

> Correct me if I wrong. I am not sure if it is appropriate to post my
> thoughts here.
>
> Regards, xinyu.

(http://research.sun.com/projects/xacml/ws-policy-constraints-current.pd
f)