dita-adoption-fasc message

Subject: DITA XML.org topic page idea: Best practices for writing topics for delivery as HTML and PDF

DITA XML.org SC,
Some threads on dita-users@yahoo lend themselves to becoming topic pages
on the DITA XML.org wiki knowledgebase. We've done this is the past; for
example, "Migrating legacy content" [1] is a compilation of several yahoo
posts.

Would the "Best practices for writing topics for delivery as HTML and PDF"
(below) make a good wiki topic page? If so, we could create a new wiki
page and excerpt/summarize what's been posted on the list, crediting the
authors. Then we could notify the dita-users list that the page is there
and invite others to add/edit the page.

The other recent yahoo thread I thought worth considering is "What is DTD
and DITA".

Carol

[1] http://dita.xml.org/wiki/migrating-legacy-content

-----Original Message-----
From: dita-users@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dita-users@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Patrick Quinlan
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 10:21 AM
To: dita-users@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [dita-users] Re: Best practices for writing topics that may
be delivered as HTML and PDF

Hi Sowmya,

I second Julio's suggestion. We create quite a few topics that are output
to both PDF and HTML, and use conditional text to indicate, for example,
images that are in different resolutions for each output. Beyond this, try
to make sure that your content is as succinct as possible. Generally
speaking, if you write content as though it is going online, it will
remain effective in print. However, if you write content for print (which
tends to be more long-winded) it is not as effective when put online. In
my experience, doing so takes some getting used to for authors who've been
writing print content for a while.

We happen to use XMetaL, so I'm not sure if other tools have these
features, but we added the conditional text to XMetaL's config file, and
color coded the conditions. That way when someone opens a file, it is easy
to see how much conditional text there is, and what content is meant for
which output.

For some of our deliverables, we set conditions on topicrefs in the map.
Sometimes it is easier to make entire topics conditional, instead of
including a bunch of "print" text followed by a bunch of "online" text.
Figuring out how much conditional text is too much for one topic is
completely subjective, of course.

Lastly, authors need to understand that text that is not set to a
condition will appear in both outputs.

HTH,

Patrick