dita-adoption-help message

Subject: Re: [dita-adoption-help] DHTG - Topics to be covered

Hi Tony...

Thanks for doing this. We also need a topic on .. "Using Quadralay
ePublisher to Publish to Help Formats".

I'm looking again at the current layout for the DHTG, and it still
doesn't feel quite right.

At the top level we've got ..

- Introduction
- Help Delivery Technologies
- Help Development Tools and Techniques
- Resources

Introduction looks fine, general introductory info and such .. and
Resources seems fine with additional info that doesn't fit elsewhere.
The topics currently in the two main sections doesn't seem like there's
a clear enough reason for being there (yes .. I'm the one who set this
structure up).

The Help Delivery Technologies section seems like it should have no
tool-specific information, just a listing and description of the actual
Help formats that we discuss. These topics should be completely
tool-neutral, and just provide a general description of each format, and
its use (perhaps pros/cons), with a list of tools that can be used to
create this format. This section would only be updated to add new
formats and links to tools that support those formats (once it's been
written, of course).

The Help Development Tools and Techniques section is where the
tool-specific info should be. There would be a new topic (or group of
topics) for each tool/technique. Currently, this section contains
sub-sections for a number of tools, followed by a sub-section called
"Help Development Techniques" .. this contains topics that discuss
methods for handling HTML/CSS that applies to many of the Help formats.
Should this sub-section be moved into it's own top-level section so we
end up with the following structure? ..

- Introduction
- Help Delivery Technologies
- Help Development Tools
- Help Development Techniques
- Resources

In general, I'm thinking that we just need to move a number of topics
from the Help Delivery Technologies section into the Help Development
Tools section. The following topics are really about "tools" not Help
delivery technologies ..

- Leximation AIR Help plugin
- Eclipse Help (the second topic with this name)
- CSHelp Plug-in
- Eclipse_CSH Plug-in for Dynamic Context-Sensitive Help
- Context-Sensitive Help Using the Enhanced HTML (htmlhelp2) Plug-In
- Context-Sensitive HTML Help Using the The DITA Open Toolkit

Anything that assumes that the user is working directly with the
DITA-OT, that "tool" would be under the "DITA Open Toolkit" sub-head
(all of the above fit into this category), and if you're working with
another tool/utility, that tool would be the heading (even if that tool
uses the OT under to hood).

I think this will make it easier in the long run to add new topics for
new tools as they become available.

Does this all make sense, and seem like a reasonable approach? In my
mind this was what I had intended when I reorged this the last time, but
when I look at the current structure, it's not what I would have expected.

Talk to y'all later today.

Thanks,

...scott