dita-adoption-help message

Subject: "Skills Table" in DHTG Topics

Greetings colleagues

At the DAHSC meeting earlier this week, I promised to create a sample
"Skills Table" to add at the top of topics in the DHTG that require an extra
degree of technical expertise. For example, if a technique described in a
topic requires the reader to have XSL-FO skills, that fact should be clearly
stated up front.

I have come up with a fairly simple table (and in fact, a simpletable) with
one row for "Technical skill level" and one for "Technologies used". I
expect the "Technical skill level" should be labelled as High, Moderate, or
Low. The "Technologies used" should simply list the technologies or tools
that the person would need to use to implement the technique.

For example, the dhtml_effects.dita topic talks about using XSL-T, CSS, and
JavaScript in conjunction with the DITA OT. The "Skills Table" in this topic
should indicate a "Technical skill level" of "High", and a "Technologies
used" of "XSL-T, JavaScript, CSS, DITA Open Toolkit".

So that we can style this table in the output, the simpletable element
should be given an outputclass of "skill_table".

I've set up such a simpletable in dhtml_effects.dita, if you want to use
that as a guide. I've also added a bullet point to the "General style notes"
of the Wiki page used for DHTG topic allocation.

If you have some ideas to improve or extend this design, or if there's
anything else we need to add to the skill table, please make your
suggestions!!

Cheers

Tony Self