Subject: RE: [dita-adoption] Improving DITA OT documentation to speed up DITA adoption

Hi Mathew,

First of all, I think you have done a great piece of work!

When reviewing your materials, it became clear to me that the documentation you are working on are not “only” about the DITA OT – but more broadly about the DITA standard too. This makes perfect sense to me and it also makes me wonder if the task audience analysis should be expanded a bit.

Specifically, I would like to suggest that you (and everybody else taking part in this discussion) think about one or more of these five additional roles:

·         Systems integrator/IT:

o   Responsible for integrating the open toolkit into existing (CMS) solutions

o   Responsible for designing a GUI interface to the OT

o   Requires “API” type information about the OT

·         Content reviewer:

o   SME with no XML skills, no DITA skills

o   Requires basic understanding of DITA architecture (no tags)

·         Content provider:

o   SME that creates the basic input for the documentation process

o   Basic understanding of topic types and overall DITA architecture and processes

o   No XML, no tags

·         Content re-user:

o   Any knowledge worker in the organization that create ad-hoc, transient documents, presentations, spreadsheets, emails where DITA topics can be reused

o   Require a basic understanding of the DITA information architecture

·         Business manager:

o   Decision to implement DITA, result responsibilities

o   Calculating ROI

o   Measuring results (time spent, translation costs, % reuse)

Speaking for myself, I do have a tendency to forget that documentation is neither born in the tech. doc. department nor actually consumed there. A lot of other people in a company are involved, one way or the other….

Best Regards,

>< Content Technologies ApS

Steffen Frederiksen

Director