Subject: dita.xml.org: Some answers to David's great questions -- and morequestions

Great questions, David. I'll answer what I can and hope that Carol Geyer and JoAnn also will chime in. Don Day has also expressed a willingness to join the Adoption Committee so that he can continue to work on dita.xml.org.

Here are some pages at dita.xml.org that might help give us all a better understanding of the site, OASIS expectations for focus areas, and the previous Editorial Board:
While I was familiar with the "Contribute content" page, which is specific to dita.xml.org, today is the first time that I have read editorial guidelines and instructions for editorial boards. I wish that I have been pointed to them when I joined the Editorial Board.

See my inline comments below enclosed in blue (for those of you who receive HTML e-mail) <kje> tags.

Kris

Kristen James Eberlein

48B2C77A.5070007@pobox.com" type="cite"><nipped>
Hi, Carol

Can I be a big nuisance?! ;-)

I think I'm feeling much the same as I did with the Adoption TC a  short while ago. Namely that I'm coming to this fairly fresh, whilst  other folk are way ahead of me! I just don't feel I've got a proper  'handle' on the site.

dita.xml.org seems to go back a number of years, at least I've  certainly seen content from 2006, and I'm sure there's stuff older  than that.

Would it be possible to have a fairly brief top-level synopsis about  the site?

<kje>I don't have enough experience with the site and the Editorial Board to answer this, but I think that http://dita.xml.org/about is intended to serve this function. A user might get to this page by, in the right-hand pane, clicking Site info > About DITA XML.org.

Will a user easily find this page? And does it contain the content that it needs?</kje>

48B2C77A.5070007@pobox.com" type="cite">
Which areas can site users access for editing, and which not?

<kje>I'm going to work off the top, horizontal navigation bar and add some comments about which areas to which users can add content.

Automatically generated content

Wiki Knowledgebase
Can add and modify pages; can add comments to pages. Cannot modify comments made by other users.

News
| Events | Products | Services | Resources | User Groups
Can add <type-specific> pages; can modify the pages that they created. Can add comments to pages created by others. Cannot modify comments made by other users?

Forums
Don't know. I think we need to consider whether asking and answering questions is better handled on the dita-users mailing list.

Blogs
Can add blog pages; can modify the blog pages that they created. Can comment on blogs and reply to comments created by others.
</kje>

48B2C77A.5070007@pobox.com" type="cite">
Which areas are relatively static, and  which are forever changing?

Which areas of the site address which needs?

<kje>I am going to answer this based only on my own personal experience as a user of the site:

User Groups
This area hosts Web pages for various DITA users' group; it also links to groups that host their Web sites elsewhere. The RTP NC group uses dita.xml.org to host a Web page for our group:

http://dita.xml.org/book/research-triangle-park-rtp-nc-dita-users-group

We keep the page up-to-date with information about our monthly meetings and events.

Resources
I post PDFs of presentation that I give here:
http://dita.xml.org/art-short-description
http://dita.xml.org/resource/using-ibm-task-modeler-to-create-dita-based-information-sets

I also post PDFs of presentations which are freely available on the Web but at a site that will expire, for example, presentations given at Xpubs 2008.

I first discovered dita.xml.org by googling on a subject that returned one of the resource pages.

Events
I've added news pages for upcoming Webinars that I wanted to promote.</kje>

48B2C77A.5070007@pobox.com" type="cite">
How can a site driven by a wide and diverse community be properly  administered - correcting obvious mistakes.

<kje>This is one of the key questions. It raises some additional questions for me:
  • How and where do people misuse the site? Are any area particularly egregious?
  • Do we provide enough information in obvious ways to help users understand how to use the site? How can we improve this information?
  • How do we handle out-of-date content?
People do tend to misuse blog pages, either to post spam or to ask questions. One possibility here is that we could change policy so that we would require people to request a blog.

If we had subcommittee members who monitored sections of the site, we'd have a better chance of keeping up with the necessary work.</kje>

48B2C77A.5070007@pobox.com" type="cite">
I think that would help me, at least. Would others find that useful?

Many thanks,
David

> This feedback is very helpful. Never worry about being overly  > critical.
> Fresh eyes are great.
>
> 1. It's definitely possible to list the wiki topic headings in the  > vertical
> nav. In fact, it would take me about 15 minutes.  Can we agree on what
> other things we want to keep or add in the vertical nav?
>
> 2. The explanation behind the 'Book' tag is kind of complicated. We  > can
> discuss it on the next call. In the meantime, I'll see if we can  > find a
> solution.
>
> 3. Fixing out-of-date pages is a never-ending job, but if we assign SC
> members to oversee portions of the site, we should be able to stay  > on top
> of it much better.
>
> 4. I've asked our webmaster to teach me how to edit the tag list  > (it's not
> intuitive). Once we remove the bloopers, the SC might want to  > periodically
> review the tags and update as needed--or just assign that job to one
> person.
>
> Looking forward to making progress,
> Carol

[Earlier e-mails snipped by Kris Eberlein]