Subject: Re: [dita-adoption] Interesting email chain on the STC single Source SIG

Thanks for those ideas, Sowmya. When I was the lead for DITA OT, we
actually did consider a subscription model for extra support. However, the
necessary administrative overhead made this hard to justify for a project
that still has a basically minimal support team and volunteers, and no real
foundation otherwise. Red Hat and Eclipse are organization-level entities
that have the means to handle new business cases like that more easily.

Note that the latest release, 1.4.3, now natively supports the so-called
Idiom transforms using the much improved Apache 0.96 FOP output engine.
These transforms have a formal customization layer that makes fine tuning
for different look and feel quite a bit better architected.  The potential
is there for very high quality output with even the lowest cost PDF option
(FOP). What is missing are clear How-To guides. I think you have suggested
a very good set of  investigations that can help new users quickly adapt
the look and feel for all outputs to their needs.

Ironically, some of that same info is in the Help Guidelines document that
has been the subject of some controversy, so this TC will need to scope its
goals carefully. If you address only the DITA Open Toolkit and its default
outputs, I think you will be find. And the user community will love you for
helping them.

It is important to characterize the default output of the Toolkit
correctly. It is intentionally unbranded because each user will have their
own preferred needs. It would be very handy to provide an easy-to-install
sample customization for a "toy" brand or look-and-feel so that users can
modify those pieces in place to get their own preferred outputs, in
addition to the "how to do it from scratch" which IS necessary for those
who want to understand the process in terms of their own support. And also
important for consultants for whom the Toolkit is a vital foot in the door
for new clients, and the customization skills are what folks are willing to
pay for to get much more than toy-level changes.

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee