Subject: Re: [dita-adoption] Alternative for DITA Help Technologies Guide

This is an interesting idea, Marc. The immediate impression I had was that
the guide might take the form of an heuristic exploration of needs in which
new data can be added without having to revise the entire work. One example
path might be:

[start] You need to publish DITA content: (select Web, print, etc.)

[print] You need a printable output: (select RTF, PDF, PostScript,
FrameMaker; add others as they are made known)

[PDF] Your output needs to be style controlled: (select XSL-FO, CSS)

[CSS] list available CSS-driven formatters

Necessarily, some paths might end up with no solution yet known, which is
fine. Someday a CSS-driven RTF output might in fact become available if
visitors to an empty node could leave a comment describing their business
case.

Newly known technologies simply link in at the appropriate choice points.
No comparison is implied--the reader is making their own priority
assessment as they go, and the end node should be a place in which the best
practices for that particular path can be accumulated, ideally via a wiki
page (IMO).

Would this be a feasible and interesting approach to your suggestion?

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee