Subject: Tool comparison (Was: Alternative for DITA Help Technologies Guide)

I think it would be very useful to provide a comprehensive list of
features that a DITA authoring tool might offer and how the tools stack
up. This wouldn't likely be a yes/no sort of thing but probably more of
a rating from 0 to 5 since there will always be shades of gray. The
feature list might be maintained by this committee, but the compliance
level and rationale might be provided by the vendors themselves (with
review from the committee). If a vendor wanted a feature added to the
list they would need to get approval from the committee.

This would not only be a benefit to end users who are looking for a tool
with specific features, but also would help to raise the bar for the
vendors themselves by seeing the features that are lacking in their
tools. This would be difficult to do as a wiki .. it would quickly get
out of hand .. and is more suited to a database-supported web app. I've
considered putting this type of thing together myself, but it would be
best to be sponsored and managed by OASIS to ensure it is unbiased as
possible.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

...scott