Subject: RE: [dita-adoption] Groups - Tools_and_DITA-awareness_2.dita uploaded

Hi everyone,

I apologize if I'm shoving a monkey-wrench into this, but... Instead of approaching this from a DITA feature point of view - which runs the risk, we see, of vendors focusing on technical aspects of DITA that new or potential adaptors may have little knowledge or vocabulary to relate to properly - perhaps we can focus on a goal oriented approach to this. Meaning: what do DITA adaptors need to be able to accomplish with DITA, and how do specific tools enable them to achieve those goals while conforming to the DITA standard and best practices?

What do information developers need in order to develop and maintain topic-based information successfully using DITA?

Here are some examples I came up with but I'm sure we can come up with many others that would be representative of a DITA implementation - and perhaps we can rank them by "required for a basic DITA implementation" through "helpful to maximize a DITA implementation according to the highest level of the DITA maturity model":

1. Author XML content that conforms to DITA specialized for my own needs, and which allows me to reuse other DITA content and media

2. Assemble and organize topics into any number of maps and relationships

3. Accomplish content reuse by easily and consistently conditionalizing content using a common model

4. Accomplish better accessibility to content by easily and consistently applying metadata using a common model

5. Easily publish to multiple outputs in multiple languages meeting highly personalized formatting requirements that conform to corporate branding guidelines

6. Maximize content reuse by intelligently controlling change

7. Know where topics and media are used and reused

8. Know how topics and media are related and referenced

9. Freely organize information in a repository by moving and renaming files without breaking links

Thoughts welcome...

Joe

Joe Gelb
President, Suite Solutions