Subject: RE: [dita-adoption] Wiki page for examples of documents created in DITA

I appreciate and share your frustration, but I don't think we really want to
remove the spam filter altogether. We've been there before and it's been
disastrous.

Nobody believes the site's current behavior makes sense or that our current
tweaking practice is a long-term solution.

I think it's obvious we need to install a better Drupal spam module or to
upgrade to the next version of Drupal (or both). Our webmaster has this on
his to-do list, but he's in the middle of a major project to transition the
main OASIS web site to Drupal now. I'm doing my best to get the resources to
address this, and will let you know as soon as there's any progress.

Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Su-Laine Yeo [mailto:su-laine.yeo@justsystems.com]
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 9:19 PM
To: Carol Geyer
Cc: dita-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [dita-adoption] Wiki page for examples of documents created in
DITA

Carol,

I'm assuming that the not-small number of links on the page triggers the
Drupal spam filter. I just got a report today from someone who was trying to
add a link but couldn't. When I went to the page to look, the content that
that person had been trying to add was there, however the topic had a pink
background and a "mark as not spam" link at the bottom.
I remember clicking the "mark as not spam" link for this page earlier today,
so I imagine that if a page is edited, Drupal may forget that the page is
not spam.

Regarding the site's behaviour of asking the user to log in in order to see
a page that it thinks might be spam: As you know, this behavior has caused
http://dita.xml.org/book/list-of-organizations-using-dita to go down several
times. It doesn't even make sense to me to have a feature that responds to
the addition of potentially-spam links by automatically hiding the entire
page from non-logged-in users. Even if a system is 100% accurate in
detecting whether a link is spam or not spam, hiding the entire page is a
silly thing for the system to do in response.

Could we try removing the spam filter altogether? Or find a Drupal spam
module that works? Tweaking the current software over and over doesn't seem
to be a good long-term solution.

Su-Laine

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant