Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - DITA 1.2 Feature Article: Status of the DITA 1.2 Specification (DITA12SpecStatusUpdate[1].pdf) uploaded

First para
----------
Delete the final "took longer than expected" sentence.

Second para
-----------
Delete "Finally".

Third para
----------
xref isn't displaying very well

Fourth para
-----------
Change:

At that point, the Technical Committee votes to approve the Committee
Specification.

to:

At that point, the Technical Committee votes to approve the
document as a Committee Specification.

Fifth para
----------
change:

 we expect formal approval of the 1.2 Specification

to:

 we expect the specification to become an official OASIS Standard

[Note that a Committee Specification is already "formally approved".]

Readiness for use
=================

Second para
-----------
 ...have announced DITA 1.2 support in the next few months

Wording problems ("have announced" something in the future?).

---

 ...many organizations have begun authoring in DITA 1.2 and
 implementing the new features.

Perhaps change "implementing" to "using" or "taking advantage of".

Third para
----------
 ...since version 1.5.

Casual readers may not realize that 1.5 refers to the OT, not DITA.
Perhaps this should read "since version 1.5 of the Toolkit."

Later in the same para, the phrases "the 1.2 version of the Open Toolkit"
and "the 1.2 Open Toolkit" are used in such a fashion that even I do
not understand what is meant here.  Are we referring to "a version of
the OT that supports DITA 1.2" or version 1.2 of the Toolkit?

However, I think this entire paragraph is inappropriate.  The OT
is another implementation, and its mention should be incorporated
into the previous paragraph.  Therefore:

Merging second and third para
-----------------------------
I suggest the second and third para be merged to read something like:

 The vendor community has also been active in augmenting their
 products to support the DITA 1.2 specification.  We have seen
 DITA 1.2 versions released by XML editor developers PTC/Arbortext,
 JustSystems/XMetal, and SyncRO Soft/Oxygen, and DITA2Go. Content
 Management System (CMS) vendors SDL/Xysoft and Ixiasoft have announced
 that they will provide DITA 1.2 support within the next few months.
 The DITA Open Toolkit, which is developed independently of the OASIS
 DITA Technical Committee, has included the DITA 1.2 features and
 changes since version 1.5 of the Toolkit (version 1.5.2 is
 currently available for download from SourceForge). As a result,
 many organizations have begun authoring in DITA 1.2 and
 taking advantage of the new features.

Fourth para
-----------
I feel that the official link to the set of DITA Adoption TC
writings should be the one on our OASIS public TC page.

Fifth para
----------
This says both too much and not enough at the same time.  If we
want to write a white paper on how one should customize a DITA
application, we can do that, but for the purposes of this document,
we should just replace that paragraph with something like:

 DITA 1.2 is completely backward compatible with DITA 1.1.
 Provided any customizations you may have done to DITA 1.1
 were done using appropriate customization methods, you should
 be able to process your DITA 1.1 content using a DITA 1.2
 installation with no changes to your content.

Last para of this section
The xref doesn't seem like an appropriate one with which to
contact the TC.

paul