Subject: RE: [dita-adoption] FW: [dita] DITA 1.2 elements needing styling and translatable strings

I don't know what you mean by "processor".  In my world view,
generated text (aka inserted strings) are specified by a
style sheet under user control, and processors insert strings
depending on what the user's style sheet says.  It's not
something we can dictate.

We could write a best practices that says, for example, that
one should not put anything like "skill level" into one's
content, but should rather style the <perskill> element so
that is generates the appropriate string.

> I don't object to the Adoption TC writing a paper that discusses
> element semantics without making styling recommendations, however I
> don't  have anything to contribute about this subject beyond what the
> official language reference already says. If we want to produce such a
> document, someone else would have to volunteer to write it.
>
> W.r.t. process, the DITA TC gave me an action item this morning to
> submit the email below to the Adoption TC for our consideration. It is
> of course up to the Adoption TC to decide what we want to do with the
> idea, regardless of what the DITA TC thinks.

I completely agree--I hope my previous email didn't make it sound
like I thought otherwise.  Since not everyone on the Adoption TC
is on the DITA TC, I just wanted to clarify that the DITA TC was
not necessarily "comfortable with producing a document containing
recommendations on how to style new DITA 1.2 elements" because we
did not have that discussion.

paul