Subject: RE: [dita-adoption] DITA 1.2 compliant CMS

Hello JoAnn and Bryan,

I am relatively new in this DITA compliant CMS definition, but I do agree
with you completely.
All my experiences with DITA compliant CCMs are all like what JoAnn had said
in the mail.
I do evaluate and recommend DITA compliant CMSs as being CCCMs and including
all these.
After these are all cleared then we can look at rendering engine and
editors.
These two are depend on what customers required, and it is possible to
select few within one deployment.
(It is not that I do recommend but it's possible)

Tetsuya

-----Original Message-----
From: bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com [mailto:bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com]

Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:11 AM
To: joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com; dita-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org

JoAnn,

I couldn't agree more. The architecture you describe is completely
consistent with my view as an XML Information Architect. In my view a very
useful model exists when it is the content that is the source of truth, and
the content management system is the central access point to that source. I
view the editor to be an important, but ancillary, or subordinate part of
the content workflow. I see it on a par with the other important, but
ancillary parts of the workflow, like instantiation of deliverables (like
help systems, web content, printed documents or PDFs), translation
managements systems, grammar enforcement modules, etc.

I recognize that very successful systems have been made to work in the past
where a strong XML editor can access an object database or even a file
system. I've managed many over the years (SGML, and XML). But I think that
kind of architecture becomes more and more difficult to sustain when we
switch from document centric content to topic-based authoring.

I would expect my DITA compliant CMS to do all of the things you've
described. To put a point on it, I would expect my CMS to manage my tens,
hundreds, or thousands of topics, along with links, usages, language
matrixes, and approval states, . . ., all of the things that make up my
universe of content.

- Bryan