Subject: [dita-adoption] RE: [dita] Re: [dita-adoption] who complains about complexity of DITA?

I have been following this discussion for some time and felt that I have
to add in my own thoughts too. First of all, the whole discussion about
element count is a non-discussion. In DITA you use only what you need and
the new specialization architecture together with constraint mechanism
make it possible and easier to pick from different domains what you need.
To illustrate my point lets have a look at the number of pages and
elements (exact counts may differ slightly since this was from an article
I wrote earlier this year). The number of pages has doubled from about 300
pages (194 elements) in version 1.0 to almost 600 pages (291 elements) in
version 1.1 and again doubled to over 1200 pages (528 elements) in version
1.2. This should however not be interpreted as a standard that is growing
unwieldy. For many other standards the number of elements is an indication
of their complexity but this is not the case for DITA. The number of
elements will continue to grow but that should be of no concern because
many of these new elements belong to sector or application specific
domains (vocabularies). A better indication of assessing the complexity in
DITA is by looking at the base elements which only grew by 13% from
version 1.0 in version 1.1 and will grow by only 17% from version 1.1 in
version 1.2.

The new features in DITA 1.2 have come from people using the standard for
some time. Some of the clients I work with couldnt wait for DITA 1.2 to
become an approved OASIS standard (which it is now thanks to the amazing
work of Kristen Eberlein and the members of the DITA TC). Without features
like keys and keyref you have to resort to messy kludges that will make
the maintenance of the content difficult. So this is a feature that will
directly benefit the author. The same can be said for conref range and
conref push. As we want more things, the standard evolves, and yes may
therefore be perceived as more complex. The challenge will be for the tool
vendors to hide the complexity and I must say some vendors have
implemented the DITA 1.2 features in a very nice way: the user does not
have to know about the underlying mechanism, as it ought to be. The
success of DITA, or any standard for that matter, depends on the support
by the tool vendors.

I have been in the XML publishing business for a long time now (back from
the SGML days) and have seen how the document world has suffered from a
lack of standards. In the beginning we all thought that creating your own
model was the thing to do; from monolithic DTDs and schemas to even
modular approaches. I have seen publishers investing a lot of money year
after year developing and maintaining their DTD/schema creations. They
wanted to be unique, wanted to have a competitive advantage and all sort
of reasons, only to find out later that instead of an asset they have
created a liability. Standards are good but not necessarily simple,
because users want to do complex things.

Dont misunderstand me; I am a fan of simplicity too. Things need to be
simple, but that does not mean that the underlying standard or
infrastructure has to be simple too, quite the opposite I dare to say. XML
has been around for some time now and it has always been promoted as the
technology designed for the web, but an interesting development is going
on with sites like Twitter and Foursquare deprecating XML and moving to
JSON. It may well be that XML is going to be replaced by JSON and
microformats, because it is simpler (check out these links:
http://blog.jclark.com/2010/11/xml-vs-web_24.html and
http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletter/news2010-11-18.html#cite2). Although
not likely, but if it happens then only time will tell where that will
leave us as a DITA community.

Marc Speyer
www.sperotech.com