Subject: RE: [dita-adoption] Groups - DITA 1.2 Feature Article: Convenience Elements (DITA12ConvenienceArticle.pdf) uploaded

I had hoped to address this during this week, but there have been too many loose ends to chase (including installing an editor because of recent PC refresh, and job offers that evaporated), and tomorrow is my last day at Cisco unless lightning strikes twice. So with regret and apology I must leave this for someone else.

	/Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Nitchie, Chris [mailto:cnitchie@ptc.com]
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 3:26 PM
To: dita-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Helfinstine, David

Dave Helfinstine and I have been reviewing this document, and we have some concerns. Specifically, the discussion of topicset and topicsetref strikes us as not quite correct. From the list of convenience elements:

"<mapref> includes an entire map by reference"
A mapref may also include a branch inside a map if the URI of the href specifies a fragment identifier.

"<topicset> defines a group of <topicref> elements as a referenceable branch of a map."
Any topicref can be a referenceable branch so long as it specifies an ID. A topicset identifies a topic structure that can stand on its own. (I'm not entirely clear on what the processing implications of <topicset>, or <topicref chunk="to-navigation">, are, but I'm confident that this description isn't quite complete.)

"<topicsetref> includes a submap by reference to a branch of a map defined by the <topicset> element."
Any branch can be included by reference via <mapref> (which is just <topicref format="ditamap">) so long as the href specifies the ID of the branch. A topicsetref allows you to reuse a topicset without re-specifying its structure.

"<topicgroup> specifies attributes and linking characteristics to be shared by a group of <topicref> elements in a map."
A topicgroup can also be used to specify a referenceable set of sibling topics without affecting the TOC structure.

The section on mapref, topicsetref, and topicset proceeds from the above descriptions of those elements, which we don't feel are correct. For example, here are some statements that I think are wrong or misleading.

"Use the <topicssetref> element to incorporate just part of a map into the current map."
You'd use a mapref for this purpose, pointing to any topicref with an ID in the target map. Again, topicsetref allows you to reuse the contiguous topic structure specified by a topicset.

"When a map that contains <topicset> is processed, the <topicset> element is effectively invisible, as though it were not there."
While true for <topicgroup>, this is absolutely not true for <topicset>. The topicset is rendered in the output, and the topic it references is the top-level topic in the contiguous topic structure described by the topicset and its children.

One important point that's never explicitly made is that all of these convenience elements (with the possible exception of topicgroup) derive their behavior from the way their attributes are defined in the DTD, not because of their names.

There are also numerous errors and typos in the example markup throughout the document, as well as a few other relatively minor issues. I've attached Dave Helfinstine's marked-up PDF, which points these out.

Chris