Subject: FW: [dita-techcomm] Authoring DTDs

Bob Thomas’s plug-in to create a simplified authoring interface

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
Joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
303-232-7586

Comtech Logo 2005 small

CIDM will be hosting the Content Management Strategies/DITA NA Conference 2014 in Seattle, Washington April 28-30. More information at:

http://www.cm-strategies.com/2014/index.htm

From: Bob Thomas <bob.thomas@tagsmiths.com>
Date: Monday, January 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM
To: DITA Tech Comm SC <dita-techcomm@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [dita-techcomm] Authoring DTDs

During our subcommittee call today we discussed the DITA lite initiative that Michael Priestly has been pursuing. I mentioned that I have put together a DITA authoring package that falls in between full DITA and DITA lite.

If any of you are interested in trying this authoring package out, it is available as DITA OT plug-in com.tagsmiths.authoring.dita on my gitHub site.

Here is an excerpt form the plug-in's readme file:

This DITA OT plug-in contains the Tagsmiths authoring DTDs. These
DTDs make heavy use of the DITA 1.2 constraints mechanism to
remove element choices from various document contexts. The DTDs
call in 32 constraints packages. simpleSectionConstraint.mod is an
example of one such constraint. When it is active, an author cannot
simply type text into a section. The author must first open a
paragraph. Consequently, the number of elements an author can
choose from in section has been reduced from 63 to 32 because
inline-level elements are no longer available as child elements for
section. Rest assured that text and each of the excluded inline
elements can still be entered under ia paragraph in section.

This plugin has also refactored the shell DTDs from the DITA
technical communications package (concept, glossterm, reference,
task) so that the inclusion or exclusion of domain packages
(highlights, hazardstatement, etc) is controlled throught single
parameter settings in a file named CommonSettings.ent. Changes in
CommonSettings.ent propogate to each of the shell DTDs eliminating
the need configure each shell DTD separately. Each constraint
package can also be included or excluded from CommonSettings.ent.

Best Regards,
--
Bob Thomas
+1 720 201 8260