Subject: FYI -- LavaCon 2018 Topic Interest Polling Opens

Hi --

I submitted a proposal for LavaCon 2018 titled "Embracing Disruption: Developing Resilient Information Architecture Teams."

As is their custom, the LavaCon conference organizers poll potential conference attendees for their level of interest in specific topics.
> https://lavacon.org/2018/#vote

If you find my proposed topic to be if interest to you and/or folks with whom you work, please consider casting a vote for it. If you ping me and the presentation is ultimately accepted, I will commit to getting you a copy.

Thanx
Stan (stan@modularwriting.com)
Embracing Disruption: Developing Resilient Information Architecture Teams

Stanley Doherty
Senior Director, Information Architecture
Oracle Corporation

How do we nurture resilient technical leadership in the face of competing priorities to consolidate standards and to respond to incessant disruption? If we promote skills to support the successful consolidation and maintenance of standards, we risk developing unresponsive, brittle standards. Optimizing for unmanaged innovation compromises the very standards we seek to maintain. Resilient technical leadership recognizes the role of disruption, clarifies its role relative to current standards, and articulates integration strategies between the standard and valuable disruptions.

Practical strategies for training teams of leaders (managers and architects) in the art of maintaining standards in the face of considering disruptive technologies and processes.

* Clarifying the boundaries of current standards.
* Identifying disruptive, alternative technologies and processes in such a way that everyone knows that they are alternatives to be explored, but not automatically adopted.
* Managing conversations between the standards leads and disruptive alternative leads.
* Planning convergence between current standards and viable disruptive alternatives.
* Educating senior management about the costs and befits of this balanced approach.

Stan currently manages content strategy and information architecture in the User Assistance Development division of Oracle Corporation. In previous positions he has managed content development groups, information architecture groups, and Agile development organizations at HPE, Akamai, MathWorks, Sun Microsystems, and Lotus Development. Stan is also a founding member of the OASIS DITA Technical Committee and secretary for the OASIS DITA Adoption Technical Committee. Stan is a certified Agile Scrum Product Owner and evangelist for iterative, agile standards development.

Content Strategy
DITA
Agile
Management and Professional Development