Subject: Action Items: 10-01-2019 DITA Adoption TC Meeting

                 ACTION ITEMS
          OASIS DITA Adoption Meeting
                  10-01-2019
Attendees: Joe, Stan, Joyce, Kathy, Jacquie, Scott
Regrets: Keith

Next meeting: Tuesday, November 5 at 12:00PM/EST
1. DITA samples development
   a. Keith:  Spent some more time on the Mitchell airplane manual,
      making the tables accessible. Everything is on my local
	  system at this point.
   b. Scot: Run the MDITA transform when Keith posts the finished
      B-25 sample work.
   c. Stan: Build out some working content badging samples
      to support the writing in the badging whitepaper (Q3).
      > GitHub: https://github.com/StanDoherty/dita-badges

2. Looking ahead: What is the future of DITA/DITA 2.0 (Keith)?
    a. What do I need to know to get ready for 2.0?
    b. What should I prep?
    c. What would a typical user/group see as changes?
    d. Review in the spring as a possible whitepaper.

3. DITA User's Guide
   Had a wonderful discussion about goals and next steps for the DITA
   User's Guide. Scott's wiki captures updates (in bold) and next
   steps. See:
   - https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita-adoption/DITA_User_Guide
   a. Action items:
      - All: Review and comment on the wiki.
	  - Keith: Follow up with Chet about setting up a source repo.
	  - Scott: Create a wiki page for info about user task analysis
	    and persona.
	  - Stan: Contribute his work on subjectSchemes and persona.
	  - Scott: Create a wiki for survey questions to the DITA
	    community about pain points.
	  - Kathy: Collect feedback about pain points and favorite elements
	    from CIDM "DITA Basics" attendees.
      - Scott: Contact Eliot Kimber re: glossary best practices. Would
        he have time to help?

4. Opportunities for writing:
   a. Stan: Consider working up a CIDM article on DITA sample doc sets.
      > In progress.
   b. All: Discuss developing a separate whitepaper on DITA 1.3 flagging
      best practices. Include revision marking and PDF changebar
	  processing.
   c. HOLD -- All: Explore the role that <set> could play in DITA 2.0.
   d. DITA migration financials: In his May 2019 email to the Adoption
      TC, Jang Graat suggested "If we would get 1 article about a -
      financially - successful DITA implementation (without any
      technical details whatsoever) into the Financial Times, it would
      have more impact on DITA adoption than writing 20 white papers
      or having 20 listening sessions (which should have been organised
      by the DITA TC and not the DITA Adoption TC if you ask me).

      I would applaud an initiative that would take the whole DITA Adoption
      group out of OASIS altogether, and I might actually join such a group.
      See it as a fan club for OASIS (not the band) and advertise it as such.
      As it is, nobody in their right mind is gong to join OASIS just to be
      part of the adoption group, so we will be confined to the geeks who
      are already convinced about DITA and who cannot think outside of the
      DITA box to figure out what would really make a difference to DITA
      newbies."
      Is this something for which we can recruit some fresh members?

5. Whitepapers:
   a. Discuss: Whitepaper submission process.
      > Is it a requirement to source ATC whitepapers in DITA?
	  > If so, by what process do we put content into some
        whitepaper-ready DITA structure?
      > If not, is publishing whitepaper content via OASIS-generated
        Word docs sufficient?
      AGENDA - toward top next time
   b. Review Stan's June 30 email about a DITA conversion
      checklist.
      https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita-adoption/ditaconversionchecklist#preview
      > Whitepaper check-in a few months
   c. Keith: Continue progress on "How keys should be implemented"
      whitepaper (Q3).
   d. Keith: Roll the "Future of DITA" presentation into a Spring 2020
      whitepaper.

6. Parking lot items
   a. Review Scott's May 3 email on DITA/LwDITA 1.0 migration strategy.
      > How do we anticipate LwDITA evolutions?
	  > May need to update as the spec evolves.
      > Keep as an email for now; revisit late this year.
	  > Eventually turn it into a procedure.
	  > Wiki - migration
   b. All: Consider creating some LwDITA versions of the content?
      Word/GoogleDoc can be converted to MDITA and from there to HDITA.
	  > Whitepaper - another output type
   c. LwDITA and HTML5 alignment (XDITA)

7. Upcoming ATC meetings