Subject: Re: [dita-adoption] Agenda: 10-01-2019 DITA Adoption TC Meeting

FYI, I have updated the markdown for the B-25 content and checked it in.

Best regards,

--Scott

ïOn 9/27/19, 6:43 AM, "dita-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org on behalf of Dr. Stanley Doherty" <dita-adoption@lists.oasis-open.org on behalf of stan@modularwriting.com> wrote:

              DITA Adoption Meeting Agenda
                      10-01-2019
                     12:00PM/EST
    JOIN WEBEX MEETING

    https://janainc.my.webex.com/janainc.my/j.php?MTID=m0bf1652c8593a3a0f809d82ad9476b21

    Meeting number (access code): 626 894 281
    Host key: 699477
    Meeting password: oasis

    JOIN BY PHONE
    +1-510-338-9438 USA Toll

    1. Document reviews:
       a. Review Stan's June 30 email about a DITA conversion
          checklist.
          https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.oasis-2Dopen.org_dita-2Dadoption_ditaconversionchecklist-23preview&d=DwIGaQ&c=P3aKjizb3qsxp0SERaL2sw&r=YQWdLfM9mekBOdoMmoBdn9RgyqIHrveGolBbb4_uGWQ&m=eDPzPLJDhXNBMf6T9WITUL0n6DfM3hdcByO864xvSMg&s=J2bndajDFbwJVjcmDKKwmgsI3Lk4DfZDuP5sE266bi0&e=

    2. DITA samples development
       a. Keith/Scott: Finish up the B-25 sample work.
          > Make the tables accessible (1.3 markup).
    	  > Re-run the MDITA transform for the B-25 content.
    	  > Request repo from OASIS.
    	  > Populate the repo.
       b. Stan: Build out some working content badging samples
          to support the writing in the badging whitepaper (Q3).
          > GitHub: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_StanDoherty_dita-2Dbadges&d=DwIGaQ&c=P3aKjizb3qsxp0SERaL2sw&r=YQWdLfM9mekBOdoMmoBdn9RgyqIHrveGolBbb4_uGWQ&m=eDPzPLJDhXNBMf6T9WITUL0n6DfM3hdcByO864xvSMg&s=fNiQISnU0ETsowUO3joFlTpOgUFmjuUMv-HiJ6dO4Qg&e=

    3. DITA User's Guide
       a. Background discussions:
          > Keith: We should consider applying the proposed DITA Users'
            Guide template for DITA commands to the <strong>/<em>
            DITA 2.0 proposal.
    	  > ATC: The lack of an "official" user's guide for DITA
            is impeding its adoption. Some of the items that could
            go into the Guide include:
    		- WebHelp for every element (a la DocBook Definitive Guide).
    		- Workflows for DITA authors.
    		- Loose coordination (xrefs or mashup) to DITA TC spec.
       b. 08-06-2019 ATC discussion notes:
          1) AI/Scott?: Create an ATC wiki page for DUG.
          2) AI/Team: List possible DITA 2.0 examples first.
          3) AI/Team: List DITA 1.3 examples with issues.
          4) AI/Team: List topics that could be candidates for
    	 features examples.
          5) What is out of scope of this publication relative to the
    	 TC DITA spec?
          6) Individual teams are writing extensive specs/guides on
             content models and usage.
          7) Feels like the writer-focused guides and advice =
             missing.
          8) Need best practices and usage tips and how-tos.
          9) Need something that is searchable and browse-able for
             finding relationships.
          10) There is foundation material available and should be
    	     evaluated.
              > Oxygen/Comtech project?
              > Tony Self's DITA Style Guide?
              > DITA Best Practices (1.2)
          11) Providing customizable sources to companies via the
    	     GitHub forum would be immensely helpful.
          12) AI/Team: Identify donate-able sources and post references
              to the wiki.
          13) Scope? Limit to a list of our useful practices.
          14) Next steps:
              AI/Keith - talk to Chet about setting up the repo.
              AI/Scott - description of user task analysis and persona.
              AI/Scott - create wiki home page.
              AI/Stan - inventory existing sample content that we reviewed
                        last year.

    4. Opportunities for writing:
       a. Stan: Consider working up a CIDM article on DITA sample doc sets.
          > In progress.
       b. All: Discuss developing a separate whitepaper on DITA 1.3 flagging
          best practices. Include revision marking and PDF changebar
    	  processing.
       c. All: DITA migration financials: In his May 2019 email to the Adoption
          TC, Jang Graat suggested "If we would get 1 article about a -
          financially - successful DITA implementation (without any
          technical details whatsoever) into the Financial Times, it would
          have more impact on DITA adoption than writing 20 white papers
          or having 20 listening sessions (which should have been organised
          by the DITA TC and not the DITA Adoption TC if you ask me).

          I would applaud an initiative that would take the whole DITA Adoption
          group out of OASIS altogether, and I might actually join such a group.
          See it as a fan club for OASIS (not the band) and advertise it as such.
          As it is, nobody in their right mind is gong to join OASIS just to be
          part of the adoption group, so we will be confined to the geeks who
          are already convinced about DITA and who cannot think outside of the
          DITA box to figure out what would really make a difference to DITA
          newbies."

          Is this something for which we can recruit some fresh members?

    5. Whitepapers :
       a. Discuss: Whitepaper submission process.
          > Is it a requirement to source ATC whitepapers in DITA?
    	  > If so, by what process do we put content into some
            whitepaper-ready DITA structure?
          > If not, is publishing whitepaper content via OASIS-generated
            Word docs sufficient?
          AGENDA - toward top next time
       b. Review Stan's June 30 email about a DITA conversion
          checklist.
          https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.oasis-2Dopen.org_dita-2Dadoption_ditaconversionchecklist-23preview&d=DwIGaQ&c=P3aKjizb3qsxp0SERaL2sw&r=YQWdLfM9mekBOdoMmoBdn9RgyqIHrveGolBbb4_uGWQ&m=eDPzPLJDhXNBMf6T9WITUL0n6DfM3hdcByO864xvSMg&s=J2bndajDFbwJVjcmDKKwmgsI3Lk4DfZDuP5sE266bi0&e=
          > Whitepaper check-in a few months
       c. Keith: Continue progress on "How keys should be implemented"
          whitepaper (Q3).
       d. Looking ahead: What is the future of DITA/DITA 2.0 (Keith)?
          1) What do I need to know to get ready for 2.0?
          2) What should I prep?
          3) What would a typical user/group see as changes?
          4) Review in the spring as a possible whitepaper.

    6. Parking lot items
       a. Review Scott's May 3 email on DITA/LwDITA 1.0 migration strategy.
          > How do we anticipate LwDITA evolutions?
    	  > May need to update as the spec evolves.
          > Keep as an email for now; revisit late this year.
    	  > Eventually turn it into a procedure.
    	  > Wiki - migration
       b. All: Consider creating some LwDITA versions of the content?
          Word/GoogleDoc can be converted to MDITA and from there to HDITA.
    	  > Whitepaper - another output type
       c. All: Explore the role that <set> could play in DITA 2.0.
       d. LwDITA and HTML5 alignment (XDITA)

    7. Upcoming ATC meetings