Subject: Agenda: DITA Adoption TC Meeting - 02-02-2021

It's charter review time!!!

          ================================
           DITA Adoption TC Meeting Agenda
              Tuesday, February 2 2021
          ==============================

ZOOM Connection:

Stanley Doherty is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: OASIS DITA Adoption TC
Time: Feb 2, 2021 12:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84473851179?pwd=enkvUkFTZXA5dnJ3a1pzM1k0ajlTUT09

Meeting ID: 844 7385 1179
Passcode: 723872
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,84473851179#,,,,*723872# US (Washington DC)
+13126266799,,84473851179#,,,,*723872# US (Chicago)

Agenda:

1. Review of OASIS DITA charters:
   a. https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/dita/charter.php
   b. https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/dita-adoption/charter.php

2. Comments on the Adoption charter

======================================
Gershon's comments on the Adopton TC Charter from January 10, 2021.

Hi all,

Here are my thoughts while reviewing the current charterÂ

Section ÂStatement of Purpose:

I donÂt think we need this paragraph any more:

Since DITA adoption is stronger in the US than in the rest of the world, especially the European Union, the Technical Committee will actively solicit participation from non-US members and help to facilitate providing information promoting DITA adoption globally.

I think we have pretty good adoption globally today. If anything, US users are ahead of the curve in moving away from DITAÂ

Concerning this paragraph:

The DITA Adoption TC intends to appoint an individual who is an active, voting member of both TCs to serve as a liaison to the DITA TC, to actively communicate the work of the Adoption TC, and to request the assistance of the DITA TC on technical issues concerning the specification. Through the liaison, the DITA Adoption TC is encouraged to bring issues to the DITA TC concerning user needs in improving the specification. The DITA TC is encouraged to bring issues to the DITA Adoption TC concerning the use cases or user scenarios around proposed changes and enhancements to the specification, as well as suggestions for other adoption-related work.

This is clearly not happening any more. We have a few members on both TCs, but weÂre not bringing this information to and from the two TCs. I have no issues with keeping the above paragraph, but if we do keep it, letÂs do it.

I guess weÂve failed on the last list item in the list. IÂm the only Adoption TC member from outside North America and I work for a North America based company, so we effectively have no representation from outside NA â. Should we delete this list item, or try to address it? Frankly I think weÂre having a hard time finding people to work on this TC as it is. Not sure what to do about it. WeÂre always had a difficult time getting folks to join this TC.

Section ÂScope of WorkÂ:

    Oversee the DITA XML.org Focus Area
    > WeÂre not doing this anymore, are we? Do we want to give this back to the DITA TC?
    Review and ensure accuracy of DITA references in commonly used resources such as Wikipedia
    > I donÂt think we ever did this. Any point in keeping it? WeÂre not even taking companies who bad-mouth DITA to taskÂ
    Host educational, vendor-neutral webinars
    > I think the vendors, STC, TEKOM, Comtech Services et al are doing a great job here. Not sure this is still relevant for us.
    Organize vendor-neutral workshops and tracks at OASIS events and other conferences
    > This proved to be very difficult to pull off. We are sort-of trying this with the current localization discussions and work on the white paper stylesheets. Not sure how far we can realistically take this item, though IÂd be very happy if we could fully achieve this one.
    Produce OASIS-branded primers, white papers, position papers, slide presentations, datasheets, and other collateral
    > ItÂs not clear to me where the DITA TC area of responsibility here ends and our TCÂs begins IÂm almost tempted to punt this one over to the DITA TC. I feel this is something they should own.
    Develop best practice guidelines
    < We used to do this. I guess all thatÂs left is to update our existing library for DITA 2.0. Are the new opportunities and gaps we can close in our library?
    Establish liaisons with other organizations who may assist in building awareness of DITA, and promoting DITA in a variety of user communities
    > This is a very tricky one. Besides the CIDM conferences, I donÂt think weÂve done anything here. Is this an area we want to accelerate? E.g. work directly with TEKOM, STC, etc?
    Assist in coordinating promotional efforts of members, leveraging activities wherever beneficial
    > I no longer understand what our intent is with this one. IÂm sure I did when we wrote it LOL
    Assist in coordinating press and analyst relations such as briefings, releases, and announcements
    > I donÂt recall us ever doing any of this. It was a wonderful idea at the time. I think this ship has sailed. Should we remove this one?
    Encourage and coordinate volunteer efforts to translate the DITA specification and other committee documents into other languages
    > Is this relevant today?
    Interface with other TCs to define how DITA can be best integrated with other standards to address specific scenarios
    > I think we need to punt this one back to the DITA TC. They have something that captures this already, more or less. ItÂs not something we should be doing, IMO.
    Stage interoperability and/or proof-of-concept demonstrations at industry conferences
    > Did we ever do this? Not sure itÂs relevant.
    Other projects aimed at increasing adoption as identified by Committee Members
    Other activities that are considered appropriate to forwarding the goals of the Technical Committee.
    > Are we referring to this TC or the DITA TC? If we keep this item, we should make it explicit.

Section ÂList of DeliverablesÂ:

We need to change the list of deliverables. About the only thing I think we should mention here is the white papers. Perhaps something like ÂDevelop and publish white papers that promote the adoption of the DITA standard.Â

At the end of the day, IÂm not convinced we still need this Adoption TC. Whoever is adopting DITA will adopt it with or without us. We donÂt have participation by implementers or consultants, with the exception of CIDM and PCAS. ItÂs very difficult getting companies to join this Adoption TC, because they have to join OASIS at their company level. Maybe we need a DITA adoption effort outside of OASIS? Even then, IÂm not convinced weÂd get serious participation.