OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita-busdocs message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: FW: [dita] Meeting minutes from 27 April 2010 meeting


From: Bruce Nevin (bnevin)
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 1:25 PM
Subject: RE: [dita] Meeting minutes from 27 April 2010 meeting

I did mention the relevance of the work of the Enterprise Business Documents SC to two items discussed on the call:
  1. Complexity of DITA, SC for a DITA subset.
  2. DITA for authoring, checking, and publishing specs (not to mention for transitioning spec content to tech pubs).

From: Gershon Joseph (gerjosep)
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 10:19 AM
Subject: [dita] Meeting minutes from 27 April 2010 meeting

Apologies for the delay in getting these out. I had to concentrate my efforts on the 1.2 spec review last week and over the weekend.

Gershon Joseph
Technical Leader, Engineering
Product Development Services

Phone: +972 9 892-7157
Mobile: +972 57 314-1170

Cisco Systems, Inc.

Cisco home page

Think before you print. Think before you print.
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Cisco Systems Limited (Company Number: 02558939), is registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 1 Callaghan Square, Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT


GIF image

GIF image

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes

The DITA Technical Committee met on 27 April 2010 at 08:00am PT for 56 

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes recorded by Gershon Joseph <gerjosep@cisco.com>

Roll call
> Quorum was achieved.

Approve minutes from previous business meeting: 
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201004/msg00079.html (13 April 2010
  meeting, Joseph)
> Minutes accepted by acclamation. Don moved. Kristen seconded.

Subcommittee/liaison reports

* OASIS DITA Adoption TC
> Don asked JoAnn/Gershon to report next week, provided no urgent DITA 1.2 
> spec draft issues arise next week.

Action Items: 
* http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/members/action_items.php 
> Only one open item, which Gershon will get to after the DITA 1.2 review 
> closes.


1. ITEM: Check on schedule
* 12 April 2010 -- 12 April 2010: Fourth internal review begins. This review 
  will include the OASIS DITA Adoption Committee and the OASIS Technical 
  Advisory Board (TAB). DITA TC members will review only selected topics and 
  sections; members of the Adoption Committee and the TAB are welcome to review 
  everything. (Note: Review *will* start earlier if it is possible to complete 
  builds and set up Wiki pages before 12 April.)
* http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/TechReview4. 
> Kris: Reminded people this internal review ends on April 30th. We went through
> the reviews to get status. Asked reviewers to update the status table as they
> move along. Friday is a hard deadline; there is no room for slack.

2. ITEM: Recap of CMS/DITA 2010 panel presentation on DITA 1.2
> Don reviewed the DITA 1.2 panel that took place at the conference in Santa 
> Clara.
> Kris mentioned that many conference attendees reflected their concern on the 
> DITA spec getting very complex with each release. A number of TC members 
> received similar feedback.
> Michael: There's been a proposal to come up with a starter set of DITA that 
> has the bare minimum rather than our current full-house package. Consider this
> for 1.3.
> Eliot floated the idea of having separate TCs for each vertical instead of 
> having this single TC try to handle everything.
> ACTION: Michael to add to 1.3 feature list an item around opening an SC for a
> DITA subset.

3. New ITEM: Recap of OASIS Chairs discussion of Spec Prep discussion
* Background by Priestley
> OASIS asked for input on things they could do for chairs to ease the spec 
> development process.
> Michael: Led to long thread on toolsets used to write the specs. Idea of XML 
> model for spec development. Advantages are ability to validate required 
> sections, etc. instead of the current manual checks. Some chairs feel a tool 
> with formatting is better. Michael proposed a solution for authoring, 
> checking and publishing specs using DITA. This spec tool would support any 
> validating DITA authoring tool, and spec content would be saved in the OASIS 
> repository. Need to see how much interest there is for this.
> Don mentioned concerns that editing in a WYSIWYG environment is preferred, 
> but they didn't seem to understand that one can edit XML in such an 
> environment if it's set up.
> Michael will ask the chairs if there is interest in putting together a 
> DITA-based spec authoring and publishing hosted solution and see if there is 
> enough interest to move Michael's recommendation forward.
> ACTION: Michael will offer to do a demo of the IBM hosted authoring 
> environment for the chairs to see if there is interest in building something 
> similar for OASIS.
> Another item that was raised on the thread was to invite Mary McRae to the 
> TC meeting from time to time. Don feels that the meeting we have our 1.2 
> spec vote may be a good one, or the preceding meeting. 
> ACTION: Don to invite Mary to the meeting.
> ACTION: Kris to forward the initial email plus any other interesting threads 
> as a single email to the list.


*** Meeting adjourned after 56 minutes ***

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]