dita-busdocs message

Subject: RE: Groups - New Action Item #0146 Arrange for metadata model prese...

Rather than "a presentation" of "the" metamodel, this should be
understood, I think, as opening a line of metamodel discussion by the TC
as a necessary big-picture context for 1.3 and 2.0. I don't think Rob
can appropriately be asked to pack all of that into a 45-minute
slideshow plus discussion, nor would it be fair to the subject, less to
our need to grapple with the issues. Rob has done impressive work on the
grammar of content at that scale and scope, which is easiest to
understand as a proposed solution; grasping it as a delineation of the
problem space requires more time and attention on our part.

That word 'grammar' may help make the point. Many people have done work
on the grammar of English. When we talk about the Grammar of English on
Historical Principles by Otto Jespersen, or the Grammar of English on
Mathematical Principles by Zellig Harris, these are descriptions of or
formulations of something antecedent, called the grammar of English.
Just so, our task is not to talk about "the" metamodel by Rob Hanna, but
rather to take responsibility for the structural and semantic properties
of narrative documents, of which Rob's metamodel is a description or
formulation.

	/B