Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: david@thingbag.net

Name: David Cramer
Regarding Specification: DITA

The "title" of a document is stored in the title attribute of the document's <map/>. Unfortunately, this means that you cannot easily include markup within the title (for example a processing instruction providing a hint as to where a line break would look good). I notice that the bookmap demo allows for a <booktitle> element in <bkbasicinfo>. I would suggest moving the title to an element in topicmeta and making it required.

In fact, I wonder if the DITA committed might reconsider the decision to put translatable text in attributes more generally. Doing so means you can't add translate="no" attributes to that text. Consider the following title, which could not be put in an attribute:

Editing the <filepath translate="no">httpd.conf</filepath> file