Subject: Re: [dita-comment] dita-translation comment

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Bryce L Nordgren <bnordgren@fs.fed.us> wrote:
I was on the verge of recommending DITA to a colleague who is working on a
Russian-English Fire Science Dictionary.  However, after digging a little
deeper, I am a bit confused as to how one might even use the glossentry
element to provide a kind of structured translation framework.

We can start simply: with only a single <glossterm> element allowed in a
<glossentry>, how does one specify the "preferred term" in two or more
languages?  If <glossentry> means "one sense of the term", should it

Have you investigated TMX, XLIFF, etc.?  I would think you could use such tools to produce a translation of DITA topics, so you end up with two docs, one Russian and one English, and then use a topic map to combine them as appropriate.  With judicious use of xml:id or other devices you could easily correlate passages.

-gregg