Subject: Re: [dita-comment] linktext content model

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:59:34 -0500, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com> wrote:

>On 8/31/10 3:23 PM, "Jeremy H. Griffith" <jeremy@omsys.com> wrote:
>
>>> Note, however, that because all the topic domains are compatible with maps,
>>> it means that any DITA user can construct their own map document types that
>>> include any or all of the domains. So to that degree the standard allows it
>>> even if the TC-provided map document type does not integrate those domains.
>>
>> However, Oxygen 12 does not... with the draft 1.2 DTDs.
>
>Not sure what you mean--Oxygen 12 doesn't allow you to create a shell with
>the highlight domain integrated into the map document type?

No, what I meant was that Oxygen 12 doesn't allow you to use the
highlight domain in a map without a validation error, which is a
showstopper, when using the 1.2 DTDs *as shipped*.

I realize it's nothing to you to fix that, but that is not true
for most others, not even for a C++ programmer with 35 years'
experience, me.  Please don't make everyone do it for no technical
reason at all.

>I've attached sample of just such a map. I tested it with Oxygen 12 (and
>11).

Thanks.  Now if only I knew what to do with it.  Do you see the
problem yet???

>And remember that custom document type shells are not "specialized" they are
>"configured"--very important difference, because document type shell
>configuration is 100% mechanical (meaning it can be automated, which it has
>been), which specialization is an more involved analysis and implementation
>activity.

Well, if all I have to do is something I've never done before,
it's not going to be easy for me, and may not even be possible
unless I hire a consultant to do it, something few companies can
afford these days.  It doesn't matter how easy it is FOR YOU and
for the TC members, if it's a black art to everyone else.

Thanks for understanding!

-- Jeremy H. Griffith <jeremy@omsys.com>
   DITA2Go site:  http://www.dita2go.com/