Subject: RE: [dita-comment] Description of Multimedia

I appreciate the clarification.

Julio J. Vazquez | Senior Content Analyst

Vasont Systems

t +1 717-793-3895

Skype: tpt_jvazquez

From: Robert D Anderson [mailto:robander@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:31 PM
To: Julio Vazquez
Cc: dita-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Julio,

The <foreign> element is not supposed to eliminate the need for specialization. It's true that the foreign element does not have to be specialized - you could add a foreign vocabulary to your doctype shell, and use that markup directly within <foreign>. That said, in most cases, avoiding specialization will result in a poor authoring experience.

The content model for <foreign> allows every element in your document type shell (the content model is ANY). So without adding any foreign vocabularies, it already allows every DITA element. If you add MathML to your shell, you'll see every DITA element plus almost 200 MathML elements. Add in SVG, and <foreign> now allows 80 additional elements from that vocabulary.

With DITA 1.3, <mathml> is a DITA specialization of <foreign>. The content model is restricted to the root MathML element <m:math> (along with a couple of other alternatives). The <svg-container> element does the same, ensuring inline SVG begins with <svg:svg>. These domains are integrated by default into several of the shells delivered with DITA 1.3.

In short (if it's not too late for that) - the idea behind <foreign> is simply to provide a way to insert non-DITA markup, in a manner that processors can recognize it as such and respond accordingly. While not required, this should generally be done in a specialized domain if you want the foreign markup to be easy to use.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://www.dita-ot.org/)

Inactive hide details for "Julio Vazquez" ---09/23/2015 12:58:02---While your recommendation makes sense, I'm not sure that I u"Julio Vazquez" ---09/23/2015 12:58:02---While your recommendation makes sense, I'm not sure that I understand the logic. I thought that the