Subject: Enhancing filtering logic

Hi,

We stumbled across the limitations of the current filtering logic in DITA during a recent customer project. I found the following discussion in the Yahoo DITA Users group that makes some interesting suggestions to enhance the filtering logic and make it more versatile. We support these proposals. Basically it would allow switching the AND and OR behavior and introducing a kind of NOT operator. Would that be feasible?

Best regards,

Frank

Managing filtering logic

[…]

Filtering logic for attributes and values

The filtering of attributes and values follows a fixed logical combining behavior.

Combining several attributes in a filtering situation:

All attributes must be “true” to process the element (AND logic).

<ph type=”tree” color=”green”>…</ph>

(@type AND @color must be true to process the element)

Combining several values within one attribute in a filtering situation:

Only one of the listed values must be true to process the element (OR logic).

<ph product=”ProdA ProdB ProdC” >…</ph>

(only one of the listed “Prod…” values must be true to process the element)

We would like to give authors the chance to change the filtering logic because it depends on the filtering situation which logic is needed.

<ph type=”tree” color=”green” or-profiling-logic=”type color”>Process me if type is tree or color is green.</ph>

<ph feature=”all-values(wlan bluetooth nfc)” >Process me if all listed wireless-features are set</ph>

The “other-than” logic

Sometimes we want to filter-in a text fragment only if a specific value is NOT set (regardless other values of this attribute are set or not).

Example:

Normally, if you want to exclude content for only one product (e. g. ProdA) you have to filter all other products in, like:

<ph product=”ProdB ProdC ProdD … ProdN” >Text for non-ProdA products</ph>

This is very difficult to manage.

We would like to say:

<ph product=”if-not(ProdA)”/>

This fragment would be processed if @product is empty or any other value than “ProdA” is set.

[…]

Frank Ralf

Technical Consultant

Phone: +49 40 7200 500-30

E-Mail: frank.ralf@parson-europe.com

parson_logo_klein

parson AG

Chrysanderstraße 69A, 21029 Hamburg, Germany

Sitz und Registergericht/Domicile and Court of Registry: Hamburg; HRB-Nr./Commercial Register No.: 126569

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dirk Lindberg

Vorstand/CEO: Ulrike Parson

Phone: +49 40 7200 500-0

E-Mail: contact@parson-europe.com

Web: http://www.parson-europe.com

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.