Subject: Re: [dita-comment] RE: noting a few limitations in my FrameMaker-to-DITA migration effort

Hi Chris,

If I am understanding the request correctly, I think this is possible with the <desc> element today. That is really the purpose of the <desc> element in a link context, to provide advance disclosure of what a reader will find by clicking on the link.

In most implementations I've worked with, <desc> is automatically populated with the short description of a linked DITA topic. It can also be specified manually for cases where it can't automatically be retrieved / where the target isn't DITA, or if something other than the topic's short description is desired.

How that <desc> content gets displayed will vary, but that's up to the processor; the sample below looks like a reasonable display to me. Depending on the output format and context, I've worked with styles that display the description after the link, below the link, or as hover-help for the link.

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification
Marketing Services Center

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com

11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA
IBM

Inactive hide details for Chris Papademetrious ---06/17/2019 04:05:52 PM---I've gotten requests from my writers for the followiChris Papademetrious ---06/17/2019 04:05:52 PM---I've gotten requests from my writers for the following: *****

From: Chris Papademetrious <Christopher.Papademetrious@synopsys.com>
To: "'dita-comment@lists.oasis-open.org'" <dita-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 06/17/2019 04:05 PM

Iâve gotten requests from my writers for the following:

*****
Item 4: Please allow descriptive text in <related-links> entries.

Our existing FrameMaker documentation allows for text after links to describe why the reader might want to visit that link. For example,

Note that this descriptive text should contain only information that is *not* obvious from the link text already shown; it should set the readerâs expectation for what value the reader will findâor look for and take note of--when visiting that link.