Subject: DITA feedback

Hello,

I would like to address some DITA limitations that are getting in the way, hoping they would be considered in the next DITA specification.

- <dl> is not allowed in a "pure" reference topic, unless wrapped in a section; our definition lists are styled like parameter lists (not tables) and we want to keep them like that and they are also reference topics

- MathML equations - long (wide) equations need to be treated as images in order to make them fit on the page for PDF format. For example:

<equation-figure>

<image href="" width="6.5in"/>

</equation-figure>

o   None of the <equation-figure>, <equation-inline>, <equation-block>, <mathml> or <mathmlref> elements support the @width attribute and not even the @scalefit attribute (which we never use because it may lead to images or captions overwriting the footer).

o   <equation-figure> supports the @scale attribute, but using may require a lot of trial and error and if the equation changes, the scaling factor may need to be re-adjusted, so not a good solution for us.

My suggestion would be to allow the @width attribute for either <mathml> or <mathmlref>.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Ozana

Ozana Dragomir – Information Developer, Automotive Operations

IMG-PVRTechAuthors@imgtec.com

Imagination Technologies Limited

t: +44 1923 260511

www.imgtec.com