Subject: RE: instantiating a shared bookmap from multiple profiled wrapper maps

Perhaps I spoke too soon about it mostly working:

Transformation fails with "URI has a fragment component" when calling a <mapref> with a <ditavalref> #3680

https://github.com/dita-ot/dita-ot/issues/3680

Dang.

  • Chris

From: Chris Papademetrious
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 2:07 PM
To: dita-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Does DITA support “wrapper maps” that can instantiate a bookmap with DITAVAL profiling applied?

For example, I tried something like the following:

productA.ditamap:

<map>

  <ditavalref href="" style="color:black;background:#FCD116">A.ditaval"/>

  <mapref href="" style="color:black;background:#9ED267">shared.ditamap"/>

</map>

productB.ditamap:

<map>

  <ditavalref href="" style="color:black;background:#FCD116">B.ditaval"/>

  <mapref href="" style="color:black;background:#9ED267">shared.ditamap"/>

</map>

where shared.ditamap is a bookmap with full frontmatter/chapter/appendix structure, etc.

My hope was for the top-level wrapper map to apply its DITAVAL, then “dissolve away,” leaving a regular bookmap structure in place for processing. It mostly worked (yay!!), but there were a couple rough edges with missing bookmap metadata and an extra level of output directory structure. Maybe I’m missing some kind of attribute on the mapref to do the dissolving away…

I can supply the above testcase if anyone is interested in having a look. This is something that we badly need a solution for.

I am also exploring the use of DITA-OT project files (setting outputFile.base to each deliverable name as needed), but I’m starting with the mapref-oriented machinery first. Both could be useful in different situations. I need to assess writer ability to create/self-service conditional books (will a nontechnical writer glaze over when looking at a DITA-OT project file?), Oxygen support and how it presents controls to the writer, how they work with XSLT refactoring scripts and our in-house perl processing utilities, and so on.

Thanks!

-----
Chris Papademetrious

Tech Writer, Synopsys Implementation Group

(610) 628-9718 home office

(570) 460-6078 cell