OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita-help message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: RE: [dita-help] Groups - New Action Item #0001 Consult the DITA-OT contribution...

Hi Chris

Good to hear from you.

Actually, the deluge of action items that you received were not all as a
result of the August 28 meeting.  Rather, they were an attempt to deal with
an accumulation of actions from the previous 4-5 DHSC meetings that had not
been explicitly documented previously as action items or assigned to
specific people.

I'm not sure that the skew towards the DITA-OT in these actions items is
indicative of a general bias within the committee towards this particular
toolset.  I appreciate that the DITA-OT is only one way to generate output
from DITA, and I believe this is well understood by other members of the
committee.  Indeed, one of the actions was to decide on the criteria by
which other tools are considered to be within our sphere and therefore
included within the DITA Help Technology Guide.  Any input or views that you
have on that issue would be most valuable.

Looking forward to speaking with you at a future meeting.

Best regards,


-----Original Message-----
From: Goolsby, Chris [mailto:cgoolsby@ptc.com] 
Sent: 03 September 2009 20:59
To: matthew@ellisonconsulting.com; dita-help@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [dita-help] Groups - New Action Item #0001 Consult the DITA-OT

Greetings all

I'm sorry I missed the August 28 meeting. It looks like many action items
were opened as a result of the meeting. I'm concerned that many of these
action items seem to be focused on the DITA-OT. The DITA-OT is not the only
way that people will be getting help output from DITA documents. For
example, the Arbortext products do not use the DITA-OT at all.

I think we need to be careful about tying what this subcommittee does to a
single method of composing DITA output. We should not expect that plugins to
the DITA-OT will be a general purpose solution to producing help from DITA
documents. We should produce generic tagging solutions that are not tied to
one method of producing output.

Again, I'm sorry I had to miss the meeting. Please let me know if I have
misinterpreted the intent of these action items.



-----Original Message-----
From: matthew@ellisonconsulting.com [mailto:matthew@ellisonconsulting.com]
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 6:25 AM
To: dita-help@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita-help] Groups - New Action Item #0001 Consult the DITA-OT

DITA Help SC member,

Matthew Ellison has created a new action item.

Number: #0001
Description: Consult the DITA-OT contribution...
Owner: Unassigned
Due: 31 Aug 2009

Matthew Ellison  2009-08-28 10:24 GMT
Based on committee's selection of Help-oriented features that we
suspect/believe should be handled as OT processing plug-ins and not as
formal DITA language specializations, discussed during May 11 DSHC meeting.

View Details:

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email application
may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and paste
the entire link address into the address field of your web browser.

- OASIS Open Administration

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]