Subject: Re: [dita-help] Help Features in DITA 1.3

This tangentially raises a point that has always troubled me about
semantic markup and the separation of content and format (or content and
behavior). Sometimes the intended rendering of a chunk of content is
really, really important. Several such requirements exist in the online
help domain. It may be easier to specify an associated behavior, with
the option of ignoring that behavior if so desired, than to keep the
source semantically "pure" and go through hoops to associate behaviors
with content chunks through indirection, annotation, post-processing, or
other means.

Table markup has always mixed semantics and presentation. I think it's
appropriate to do so in other limited circumstances as well.

Having said that, with DITA 1.2, we have a de-facto two-way association
between a topic and a map. (A topic that uses keyrefs must be associated
with a map at creation time; I believe some authoring tools allow you to
specify a keyspace for a topic before it is actually referenced from a
map).

I'm o.k. with putting behaviors in maps. In the case of ditabase topics,
can't a map include a topicref to a ditabase collection? Perhaps
ditabase documents could be associate with a trivial map, which would
define keys, define other behaviors, and perhaps have a single topicref
to the ditabase collection. Or perhaps DITA 1.3 could support a looser
connection between maps and topics. Like a ditaval file, a map could be
specified at processing time (to define keys and OH-related behaviors),
even though the map does not reference the ditabase collection.

Just thinking out loud. Apologies if I've missed anything.

-Alan
---

Alan Houser, President
Group Wellesley, Inc.