Subject: Learning objects information types and metadata

Hello DITA learning SC -

I've been reflecting on our recent discussions about learning objects, information types, metadata, and some of the discussions about SCORM in our session with Tyde Richards. Here's some thoughts to consider, and some topics for discussion.

1) First - another good (very short and concise!) reference on learning objects, this from Dr. Ruth Clark.

        Recyling Knowledge with Learning Objects, Training & Development magazine October 1998, p. 60-61.
        http://www.clarktraining.com/content/articles/LearningObjects.pdf

2) In this article, Dr. Clark distinguishes two types of learning objects.

        1) Information objects contain the learning content, and these follow the five Cisco types - facts, concepts, processes, procedures, principles.
        2) Instructional objects are what turn the information objects into learning; they provide the learning objectives, practice exercises, and feedback.

3) Here's my depiction of how this looks, and how it correlates with the DITA learning types from the IBM DB2 pilot.

4) What specific types of instructional and information objects do we need to support with a DITA specialization for learning?

If we accept the above as our starting point, then the detail question becomes, what are the specific set of instructional objects and information objects we want to support with specialized DITA information types?

One source of input is the IEEE LOM spec -

        An intro here - http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think21.html
        And the full details here - http://ltsc.ieee.org/wg12/files/IEEE_1484_12_03_d8_submitted.pdf

Section 5.4.5.2 identifies these Learning Resource Types:
        Exercise, Simulation, Questionnaire, Diagram, Figure, Graph, Index, Slide, Table,
        Narrative Text, Exam, Experiment, ProblemStatement, SelfAssesment, Lecture

This offers a troublesome mix of format and type, but does suggest some potential types to consider:
        Exercise, Simulation, Questionnaire, Narrative Text, Exam, Experiment, ProblemStatement, SelfAssesment, Lecture

It also raises the question about format and delivery, and to what extent we need to account for them. This issue also comes up in Clark's 2-pager, when she discusses "other characteristic of content," such as text vs pictures (still and moving), sounds, simulations.

John Hunt
WPLC Education Development

Chair, OASIS DITA learning and training content sub-committee
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
john_hunt@us.ibm.com