Subject: RE: [dita-learningspec] Strawman proposals for a top-level DITA design for learning content

Greetings,

I've been trying to discover constructs other than Gagne that could help entice the adoption of a top-level design model. One discovery I am reminded of going back to my graduate school daze is the distinction between "instruction" and "learning". Gagne is clearly oriented toward instruction. As is the Dick and Carey Model. See:

http://www.umich.edu/~ed626/Dick_Carey/dc.html

After much reading, ...reviewing the strawman, past minutes and past emails, I am beginning to question if certain references to the word "learning" best represents our design goals. This is why: Learning, I would suggest, really applies to propositions that account for how changes in human performance come about. Instruction describes conditions and objects that can be intentionally arranged for the learning to take place. Sprinkling guidance throughout content is an act of instruction, not learning. If DITA is seeking to offer a model on how to weave topics together, we are seeking a solution on the instructional spectrum, not the learning spectrum.

Maybe its too fine a point, but I wonder if our top-level design should be for instructional content, rather than learning content. I feel more comfortable and at ease with designing for instructional objects than for learning objects. Instructional objects speaks more to its origins in systems theory. Educators design instruction, not learning (they hope for learning). The instructional design caters to learning styles.

The RLO model seems to be based on instruction, not necessarily on learning theory.

Just musing.

Wayne

From: john_hunt@us.ibm.com [mailto:john_hunt@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 14:14
To: dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello DITA learning content SC,

Our review of structured designs for learning and how to apply them to DITA principles and best practices has generated good discussion and input from all of you.

My sense is that after two months of good discussion and review, we've come to a point where we can confirm some general directions and identify the action steps needed to get to our Task 2 goal - "developing a plan for a DITA specialization for learning content, including the learning types, map domains, content domains, and processing support needed to support the design."

To that end,  below are a series of proposals and related action items for our consideration, discussion, and action at the Thursday, 26 Oct 2007 meeting.

Thanks.

John Hunt
WPLC Education Development
Chair, OASIS DITA learning and training content sub-committee
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software

Strawman proposals for a top-level DITA design for learning content
Proposal 1. Adopt a top-level design for DITA topic-based learning content that is based on the Cisco/Clark learning objects approach, augmented by the IEEE Learning Objects Metadata (specifically the Learning Resource Types) and SCORM Sharable Content Objects.

Working assumptions:

Proposal 2. The specialized DITA topic types described below comprise the minimum set needed to support a learning object.
a) These topic types provide the content needed for Instructional objects:

b) A single topic type hosts Information objects:

c) Learning Content topics allow for direct nesting of core DITA task, concept, and reference topics, in addition to other supporting topic content.

d) Action item: Identify and define any additional topic types needed to support instructional or information content for learning, using as a starting point the Learning Resource Types identified in the IEEE LOM spec (Section 5.4.5.2).

e) Action item: Identify specific requirements for the Assessment type. (See related Proposal 6.)

Proposal 3: Develop a DITA map domain to define a set of specialized DITA topicref elements, structured and sequenced to represent the specific topic types used for a learning object.

Using a map domain for defining the structure of a learning object makes it possible to use this map domain in other DITA maps. For example, you could include a learning map inside a default DITA map, a specialized DITA bookmap, or some other specialized DITA map.

Proposal 4. Use a specialized DITA map type to define the organization of learning objects into higher-level structures, such as lessons, modules, and courses.

Action Item: Identify the specific structures and metadata we need to support in a learning map type.

Proposal 5. Prioritize SCORM as our primary processing and delivery target.

a) Action Item: Identify and prioritize secondary targets, such as general e-learning or classroom-based training.

b) Action Item: Identify the specific sub-sets of SCORM to support for a phase 1 pilot.
c) Action Item: Identify the specific sub-sets of SCORM sequencing and navigation to support for a phase 1 pilot.

d) Action Item: Identify the specific sub-sets of IEEE LOM (learning metadata) to support for a phase 1 pilot.

Proposal 6: Adopt a sub-set of QTI to drive assessments and interactions, and implement them as a DITA domain specialization.

a) Action Item: Identify the specific sub-set of QTI to support for a phase 1 pilot.

Action Item: Identify pilot content, starting with training content on how to use DITA (or some aspect of it), and identify one or two other sets of training content to pilot.