Subject: Groups - DITA Learning Content SC Working Meeting modified

DITA Learning Content SC Working Meeting has been modified by Scott Hudson

Date:  Thursday, 10 May 2007
Time:  11:00am - 12:00pm ET

Event Description:
USA Toll Free Number: 866-880-0098
USA Toll Number: +1-210-795-1100
PASSCODE: 6396088

Agenda:
Also see http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LearningContent/10May2007Agenda

1 Roll call
2 Review status of the working topic designs and learning plugin
 * Usage tips:
   * Download and install the DITA OT 1.3.1 full package bin - http://sourceforge.net/projects/dita-ot.
    * Download the learning plugin and unzip it to the DITA OT demo directory - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/download.php/23855/learningsc_plugin.zip.
    * Anyone tried creating sample content yet with the learning topic types?
    * What have you noticed?
    * I will update with XSD modules
    * We need sample content!

3 Team leads: Please review and update the wiki design pages with brief descriptions of each outline design element.

    * I've updated the element names to match those used in the learning plugin working design.
    * To make it official, I'll assign action items to the team leads. (We need to have some action items in our queue.)

4 Naming conventions for learning content elements

    * To avoid naming collisions with other DITA elements, including future or private specializations, we might want to consider using a standard prefix for all of our element names.
    * If so, we need something short and sweet.
    * For example, how about ltc, for "learning training content" ?
    * Our element names would end up like
          o ltcObjectives
          o ltcIntro
          o ltcDuration
          o ltcResources

5 What's next?

    * Resolve status of the Instructional Design topic type.
    * Resolve status of the assessment interactions.
      o Choices are QTI lite and a native DITA interactions domain.
    * Identify metadata we need to support and how.
      o IEEE LOM is the obvious starting (and probably ending) point.
      o An intro on IEEE LOM here - http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think21.html
      o And the full details here - http://ltsc.ieee.org/wg12/files/IEEE_1484_12_03_d8_submitted.pdf
    * Get started on a learning map design.
    * Start identifying processing.

6 Check against design plan targets
    * May, 2007: Review and finalize designs and DTD modules, develop XML Schema modules, use DITA OT to build HTML and PDF outputs, and complete first draft of specification for topic types. Report results to SC at June 7, 2007 meeting.
   * May, 2007: Develop DTD and XML Schema specialization modules for the learning map type; develop one or more sample maps, and use DITA OT to build to HTML with sample topics developed in Phase 2. Report back to the SC at the June 7, 2007 meeting.

7 Close and adjourn.

Minutes:
DITA Learning SC - 10 May 2007

Rueben Tozman
John Hunt
Greg Davore
Scott Hudson
Robin Sloan
John Accardi

1 Roll call
2 Review status of the working topic designs and learning plugin
 * Usage tips:
   * Download and install the DITA OT 1.3.1 full package bin -

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dita-ot.
    * Download the learning plugin and unzip it to the DITA OT demo directory -

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/download.php/23855/learningsc_plugi

n.zip.
    * Anyone tried creating sample content yet with the learning topic types?
    * What have you noticed?
    * I will update with XSD modules
    * We need sample content!

Anyone try samples yet?
Rueben - no
Scott - no, don't have any samples. Still trying to find public samples.
Greg - not with the toolkit

Might want to start looking into processing extensions that we can make our presentations of

content more consistent and interactive.

John had an action item to update the plugin with some XSD support.

It would also be great for folks to try various tools that could support our specialization,

including:
Arbortext
oXygen
XMetal
XMLMind

We need you to test samples against the sample DTD!!! If you can make any samples public, that

would be ideal.

3 Team leads: Please review and update the wiki design pages with brief descriptions of each

outline design element.

    * I've updated the element names to match those used in the learning plugin working design.
    * To make it official, I'll assign action items to the team leads. (We need to have some

action items in our queue.)

Leads, please get your wiki pages in order and have descriptions for all elements and attributes.

These pages will be the start for the topics that will be in our specification.

John will create some action items, so watch for your names and please complete your assigned

action items.

4 Naming conventions for learning content elements

    * To avoid naming collisions with other DITA elements, including future or private

specializations, we might want to consider using a standard prefix for all of our element names.
    * If so, we need something short and sweet.
    * For example, how about ltc, for "learning training content" ?
    * Our element names would end up like
          o ltcObjectives
          o ltcIntro
          o ltcDuration
          o ltcResources

Thoughts on a naming convention?
Consensus: Use "lc" as the naming prefix for our elements, to prevent naming collisions with other

specializations.

5 What's next?

    * Resolve status of the Instructional Design topic type.
    * Resolve status of the assessment interactions.
      o Choices are QTI lite and a native DITA interactions domain.
    * Identify metadata we need to support and how.
      o IEEE LOM is the obvious starting (and probably ending) point.
      o An intro on IEEE LOM here -

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think21.html
      o And the full details here -

http://ltsc.ieee.org/wg12/files/IEEE_1484_12_03_d8_submitted.pdf
    * Get started on a learning map design.
    * Start identifying processing.

Rueben built their own schemas for interactivity. QTI is just too messy and difficult to create

the interactions.

Action: Rueben to help describe a simpler model for handling interactivity.Structurally, the

mutliple choice and multiple select have the same model. Perhaps be on the agenda for June 14 to

present this. May also create a PDF of the schema and post to the docs page.

There is a samples section now on the OASIS site, if anyone can make their samples public (for the

subcommittee)!

There is the issue of metadata that we need to consider as well. Please review the IEEE LOM and

see what additional support is needed, what DITA already provides.

ACTION: Scott to create spreadsheet mapping IEEE LOM and any learning SC fields. Discuss in May

24th meeting.

6 Check against design plan targets
    * May, 2007: Review and finalize designs and DTD modules, develop XML Schema modules, use DITA

OT to build HTML and PDF outputs, and complete first draft of specification for topic types.

Report results to SC at June 7, 2007 meeting.
   * May, 2007: Develop DTD and XML Schema specialization modules for the learning map type;

develop one or more sample maps, and use DITA OT to build to HTML with sample topics developed in

Phase 2. Report back to the SC at the June 7, 2007 meeting.

7. Discuss initial Map design
domain provides a way to provide a structured set of topicrefs, and would allow you to use

learning object sets in any map
topic type provides a specific structure for learning content maps

specialization of topicref would be the domain approach. You can nest learning objects inside

other learning objects.

Scott - Does domain approach open this up to broadly? Do we want to lock it down tighter? What

impact would this have on SCORM compliant output?

John Accardi - Sun chose the topic type specialization approach to lock it down tighter.

John Hunt - You could do the topic type approach, similar to bookmap. If you want to create

learning, then it would have to follow that structure.

Greg - is there a case where we need to be more flexible?

John Hunt - what if you have a book and you want to include a learning object? Then you might need

the domain approach.

John Accardi - there may be certain things that are required for the definition of a learning

object. That would seem to indicate the need for the topic type specialization?

John Hunt - you should be able to do both. The topic types themselves could still lock down the

required content, and the domain specialization would allow topic refs to learning objects in more

than one context.

John Accardi - why isn't bookmap implemented as a domain specialization, then?

John Hunt - interesting question! Perhaps this should be posted to the public list and research

this for next week?

8 Close and adjourn.

This event is one in a list of recurring events.
Other event dates in this series:

Thursday, 17 May 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 24 May 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 31 May 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15053

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20070510T000000Z
DTSTART:20070510T150000Z
DTEND:20070510T160000Z
SEQUENCE:4
SUMMARY:DITA Learning Content SC Working Meeting
  +1-210-795-1100\nPASSCODE: 6396088\n\nGroup: DITA Learning and
  Training Content Specialization SC\nCreator: John Hunt
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15053
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15053
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20070508T000000Z
DTSTART:20070517T150000Z
DTEND:20070517T160000Z
SEQUENCE:1
SUMMARY:DITA Learning Content SC Working Meeting
  +1-210-795-1100\nPASSCODE: 6396088\n\nGroup: DITA Learning and
  Training Content Specialization SC\nCreator: John Hunt
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15054
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15054
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20070508T000000Z
DTSTART:20070524T150000Z
DTEND:20070524T160000Z
SEQUENCE:2
SUMMARY:DITA Learning Content SC Working Meeting
  +1-210-795-1100\nPASSCODE: 6396088\n\nGroup: DITA Learning and
  Training Content Specialization SC\nCreator: John Hunt
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15055
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15055
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20070508T000000Z
DTSTART:20070531T150000Z
DTEND:20070531T160000Z
SEQUENCE:3
SUMMARY:DITA Learning Content SC Working Meeting
  +1-210-795-1100\nPASSCODE: 6396088\n\nGroup: DITA Learning and
  Training Content Specialization SC\nCreator: John Hunt
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15056
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15056
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR