Subject: comments about the Learning Design topic design

Dear OASIS DITA learning content sub-committee

First, I want to express my deep thanks to Kevin Ruess, Susan Wooldridge, Wayne Gafford, Leslie Lucas, Nina Deibler for all your good work and input on the Learning Design topic design.

Kevin attended our June 7 meeting, and took us through an excellent overview and discussion of the design plan for this topic type. I've also spoken with several other SC members about it. See document here - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/download.php/24256/learning_plan_model_may_30-final.doc.
Meeting minutes here - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/download.php/24320/learningSCmeeting070607.txt

I want to make a few comments, and encourage others to respond and reply, so we can have a good open discussion about how to incorporate this content into our DITA design for learning content.

First, a lot of this addresses metadata, most of which we have available already in all DITA topics and maps from the core DITA prolog/metadata.
(See Chapter 9 in the DITA 1.1 Language Specification for details - http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24319/ditaref-type.pdf

I suggest that we look first at core DITA metadata for Project elements and Audience. For anything not already covered, I suggest adding it as specialized prolog/metadata in learningBase, which makes it available for use in all of the learning types, including the learningDesign type.

Any other pieces of content that's really metadata in the Learning Design, I would suggest adding as specializations of <data> in the learningDesign prolog/metadata, as well.

We need to coordinate metadata decisions with our IEEE LOM discussions - see http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/download.php/24174/Metadata%20Model%20Comparison.xls

Once we address metadata coverage, then my question is, what content buckets do we want to provide for describing a Learning Design?

Here's my take, as a straw-man discussion starter.
 - lcOrganizationalNeeds
 - lcWorkEnvNeeds
 - lcTaskAnalysis
 - lcGapAnalysis
 - lcLearningStrategies (to cover the Interventions)
   - possibly additional para.cnt-level specializations to provide more detailed structures for describing the learning strategies
 - lcTechnical, if there is additional description to provide beyond the metadata we include by specialization in the prolog

These are all specializations of generic section.

I've posted some additional detail on my strawman design outline for this topic in the wiki, here - http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LearningContent/LearningInstructionalDesignTopicType.

I encourage your additional comments and discussion.

John
John Hunt
Lotus Education Development
Chair, OASIS DITA learning and training content sub-committee
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
john_hunt@us.ibm.com