Subject: Groups - DITA Learning Content SC Meeting modified

DITA Learning Content SC Meeting has been modified by Scott Hudson

Date:  Thursday, 16 August 2007
Time:  04:00pm - 05:00pm ET

Event Description:
USA Toll Free Number: 866-880-0098
USA Toll Number: +1-210-795-1100
Australia Toll Free Number: 1-800-993-862
Australia Toll Number: 61-2-8205-8112
PASSCODE: 6396088

For information on specific country access dialing, see http://www.mymeetings.com/audioconferencing/globalAccessFAQ.php.

Agenda:
See details in the wiki -
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LearningContent/16August2007Agenda

1) Roll call
2) Announcements
3) Status updates on our progress
4) Today's Topic:
  * Discuss and resolve design of the Learning Content type.
    See Proposal to resolve issues with Learning Content Topic Type and topic nesting -
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LearningContent/LearningContentProposal

Minutes:
DITA Learning Content SC minutes 16 Aug 2007

Attendees:
John Hunt
Scott Hudson
Jeff Deskins
Bob Doyle
Wayne Gafford
Patrick Quinland
Reuben Tozman
Allyn Radford
John Accardi

Topic designs
          o We have complete draft designs, working schemas, and test sample content for the following topic types:
          Learning Plan topic type. See August 9 meeting minutes.
          Learning Overview topic type
          Learning Summary topic type
          Learning Assessment topic type

On agenda today: Resolve issues related to topic nesting in the Learning Content topic type.

WAYNE: have we compared elements side by side to make sure we don't have any duplication?
JOHN H: there are some common elements, as we are pulling from a common learning base type.
WAYNE: that confirms there is some overlap, but what are the implications? Are you reusing the content, or does one take precedence?
JOHN H: that is a design feature to allow conrefs to link objectives once in the design, for example, in the overview and summary as well.
WAYNE: So the intended usage and definition should be the same for each of the places objective is allowed (for example)
JOHN H: this is a great point that we should be covering as we put together the specification.

Metadata support
          Scott Hudson is working on a draft design, schemas, and working samples for IEEE LOM metadata in the topic prologs of the five learning types, as specializations of the DITA data element. See IMS LOM design.

Allyn: if you don't have the metadata at the right level, then processing will be skewed from the beginning. Are there other metadata standards that we should be looking at?
John H: our target is really native DITA support wherever possible, but also IMS LOM, if we provide the basic mechanism or model, then we could allow others to add additional metadata via further specializations. If there is some compelling reason to add additional fields, we can certainly do that too.
Allyn: there may be an architectural issue here; do we want to design this in such a way to allow foreign vocabularies directly?
Scott: should we be specializing off of foreign instead of data?
Wayne: maybe in the next meeting we could have an IPR on the work that has been done so far, and have a week to review what's been done?

Learning Map Domain
          Learning Map Domain provides a first draft design. We need to discuss:
                + Whether to allow nesting of learning objects
                + How to handle relationship tables

JOHN H: there has been some discussion as to whether we should use QTI or not. We are looking more at providing a basic native DITA approach.

Assessment interactions
          o We have agreed to develop a basic set of assessment interactions as a native DITA domain specialization, based on Reuben Tozman's six basic interaction types.
          o We may also support use of QTI interactions as a DITA foreign domain specialization, based on the following technical dependencies:
                + QTI must provide both DTD and XSD implementations.
                + QTI must provide processing support to SCORM.
                + QTI must provide processing support for any additional delivery targets, such as PDF or HTML.

Next steps

*Turn the wiki pages with the topic designs into DITA topics, and publish a draft specification for the 5 topic types, for review and approval by the sub-committee. John Hunt to coordinate this. Target completion: September 6.

*Complete a draft DITA specialization design for IEEE LOM, including working schemas and sample content. Scott Hudson to lead this. Target complete: September XX.

*Resolve map domain issues and turn the wiki pages on the Learning Map domain into DITA topics, and publish a draft specification for the learning map domain, for review and approval by the sub-committee. John Hunt to lead this. Target completion: September 27.

*Develop a draft spec, including working schemas and sample content, for the DITA interactions domain, for review and approval by the sub-committee. John Hunt, John Accardi, Reuben Tozman to lead this. Target completion: September 27.

*Goal: By end of September, we have resolved issues and approved designs for the 5 topic types, the map domain, the native assessment interactions, and the metadata model, including working schemas and basic sample content.

*October - December - We tackle processing, with primary target of SCORM and secondary target PDF, according to our Phased Design Plan.

Today's Topic:

    * Discuss and resolve design of the Learning Content type.

      See Proposal to resolve issues with Learning Content Topic Type and topic nesting.

JOHN H: Basically, we want to allow the use of the basic DITA topic types in learning content. There are 2 basic approaches: direct reuse via a map specialization OR learningContent topic type.

The 2nd approach allows you to associate learning-specific information with the content (such as duration, objectives, etc.) It still allows you to use existing content via conref.

PTC has already created some specialized learning topic types.

Rueben: essentially, you can pull in through a map and use your specialized topics easily. Or you can nest in existing topics via nested topics/conref. Are you merging both of these?

Wayne: packaging content is one of the big concerns. If you are allowing other content in, you may be depleting the instructional value of the content. You need to actually have instructionally sound learning types. The basic concept, task, reference, should be supplementary material. You DO want to allow that content as supplementary, but not losing the instructionally significant components! You don't want a tech manual and just slap the title training at the top...

JOHN H: the challenge isn't that you have a concept and how do you turn it into learning. Rather, it is how do I create good learning content using some of the core content types.

BOB: does this mean you could insert assessment or other remedial components that wouldn't be in the normal sequencing, but in a map? Reuse is one of the big promises of DITA. We should be able to reuse existing content, but then build further on it?

JOHN H: The learning assessment type should allow that specific scenario, but we will need to discuss this further as part of the map domain discussion. Here we are trying to focus on the learning content component itself.

Rueben: you can't point to a specific structure and say "that is learning specific content, and that is documentation specific". From schema to schema, it sounds like DITA already supports most of the content-specific structures you would need. ADL was smart to not define a particular approach to training. We have to be careful to not have only one way of modeling instructional design.

WAYNE: how do you set the context such that the instructional creator/author can create it acurately?

Allyn: still grappling with the structural issue. We can't necessarily force people to do good instructional design. We want to be able to pull in useful content. The delicate piece is how we describe that information.

John H: the proposal is that DITA provides a lot of the basic building blocks. The invitation is that if you have specific needs for creating your type of learning content, then you can include that very easily.

Scott: seems like the map proposal would provide more of the flexibility we might need.

John H: the topic type proposal was intended to provide some specific structure that the map doesn't really provide.

Rueben: you can't just wrap an overview and summary around existing content and call it training.

Wayne: we need the structure to enforce writing with instructional/learning content in mind.

Reuben: it's tricky. At the end of the day, you need to have the right qualified people involved in creating the training.

Allyn: it doesn't sound like we really dealing with a structural issue. It's more of the instructional design issue.

Wayne: we need to encourage an instructional mentality, not just force existing content into our model.

Scott: are we choosing one approach over the other, or merging the two?

John H: really enabling the two.

This event is one in a list of recurring events.
Other event dates in this series:

Thursday, 14 June 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 21 June 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 28 June 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 05 July 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 12 July 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 19 July 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 26 July 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 02 August 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 09 August 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 23 August 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 30 August 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 06 September 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 13 September 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 20 September 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 27 September 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15066

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20070816T000000Z
DTSTART:20070816T200000Z
DTEND:20070816T210000Z
SEQUENCE:15
SUMMARY:DITA Learning Content SC Meeting
  +1-210-795-1100\nAustralia Toll Free Number: 1-800-993-862\nAustralia
  Toll Number: 61-2-8205-8112\nPASSCODE: 6396088\n\nFor information on
  specific country access dialing\, see
  http://www.mymeetings.com/audioconferencing/globalAccessFAQ.php.\n\nGroup:
  DITA Learning and Training Content Specialization SC\nCreator: John
  Hunt
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15066
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=15066
END:VEVENT