Subject: Groups - DITA Learning Content SC Meeting modified

Minutes from today's meeting

 -- Scott Hudson

DITA Learning Content SC Meeting has been modified by Scott Hudson

Date:  Thursday, 13 December 2007
Time:  11:00am - 12:00pm ET

Event Description:
USA Toll Free Number: 866-880-0098
USA Toll Number: +1-210-795-1100
Australia Toll Free Number: 1-800-993-862
Australia Toll Number: 61-2-8205-8112
PASSCODE: 6396088

For information on specific country access dialing, see http://www.mymeetings.com/audioconferencing/globalAccessFAQ.php.

Agenda:
See http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LearningContent/13Dec2007Agenda.

Minutes:

attendees:
John Hunt
Rueben Tozman
Wayne Gafford
Scott Hudson
Bill Blackman (ADL)
John Chavez (IBM Global Business Services - Learning content)

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/LearningContent/map2manifest

Need to determine the point to point mapping for the learning topic types to the IMS/SCORM manifest.

Rueben - Do we reference each learning object as a single SCO, or do we create an aggregation? If we at least draw a topic ref to a single SCO, then we make it more reusable and flexible, as opposed to having it part of a massive SCO object

Bill - agreed. SCOs should be a single unit of tracking.

Rueben - the smallest piece of information that we want to manage and reuse. You can still aggregate into another aggregation at a later point. Our learning objects are part of a single terminal learning objective anyways.

It's nice to at least have the option, if they are broken out, rather than combined to start with.

John H. - How do we represent this in the manifest?

Bill - Based on the wiki example, what items do you want to track? I would assume you want to track the assessment?

John C. - interesting point! We want to be able to track where a student is at any particular point in time.

Rueben - tracking is a good perspective

Bill - If you wanted to track each of these 4 things separately, then you track them as separate items. In this case, you have 1 Organization, then 1 item for the learningObject, then an item for each of the other SCOs (learningOverview, learningContent, learningAssessment, learningSummary)

Scott - what is the sequencing for?

Bill - Sequencing is important. You need that.

Scott - Do we have a way of representing this in our DITA map?

Wayne - every learning object will be referenced inside an organization, inside an item, and each SCO is an item underneath that.

John C. - Is the goal to provide a 1 to 1 mapping? SCORM is much more complex than DITA, so what level do you map to?

Bill - when worked at Carnegie Mellon, they provided 10 or so templates for different scenarios. Then you can map the sequencing rules to a template, which would be nearly impossible to map by hand.

Scott - so how do you use the templates?

Bill - you would put some reference in your DITA and then process it with the stylesheets.

Scott - are we talking about modifying the DITA Learning Map spec, or are we talking about stylesheet templates here?

Rueben - We should enable them to control this in the XML, so that you can then inform the XSL rather than writing 10 different XSL.

John H. - let's not worry about the XSLs at this point. The key question is what results do we want to support at this point?  Do we need to add anything additional to the map domain?

This has been very good input. At this point a review of those templates would be helpful and provide a good starting point for implementation. Our goal should be as much as possible to move forward without changing the design spec.

We have our designs, DTDs and schemas in place. We need to figure out how to process that into the SCORM package as a plugin.

Wayne - Bill has introduced the idea that a SCO is something that we want to track. We are assuming that we want to track as much as feasibly possible. In the example with the 4 learning refs, we assume there is trackable information at each of these levels (with regard to students). If a SCO is equiv to a leaf item, then the mapping mechanism is that each of the dita filenames should be referenced inside each item tag wrapped in a higher level item inside an organization. The identifier in each of the topics would be used in the item identifier.

 Bill - it may make sense to have the learningObject to be an output as a single SCO (another stylesheet output), rather than down at the individual learning topic level. Only leaf items should be identified in the resources.

The ID inside the topic is then used in the item identifier and resource identifiers.

Bill - need to generate identifiers in items. The resource identifier most closely maps to the DITA ID.

Next meeting is 1st Thursday in January!

This event is one in a list of recurring events.
Other event dates in this series:

Thursday, 04 October 2007, All Day
Thursday, 11 October 2007, All Day
Thursday, 18 October 2007, 04:00pm to 05:00pm ET
Thursday, 25 October 2007, All Day
Thursday, 01 November 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 08 November 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 15 November 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 22 November 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 29 November 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 06 December 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET
Thursday, 20 December 2007, 11:00am to 12:00pm ET

View event details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=16805

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above link does not work for you, your email
application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to
browser.

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:PUBLISH
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:My Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
CATEGORIES:MEETING
STATUS:TENTATIVE
DTSTAMP:20071213T000000Z
DTSTART:20071213T160000Z
DTEND:20071213T170000Z
SEQUENCE:15
SUMMARY:DITA Learning Content SC Meeting
  +1-210-795-1100\nAustralia Toll Free Number: 1-800-993-862\nAustralia
  Toll Number: 61-2-8205-8112\nPASSCODE: 6396088\n\nFor information on
  specific country access dialing\, see
  http://www.mymeetings.com/audioconferencing/globalAccessFAQ.php.\n\nGroup:
  DITA Learning and Training Content Specialization SC\nCreator: John
  Hunt
URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=16805
UID:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/event.php?event_id=16805
END:VEVENT