Subject: RE: [dita-learningspec] Feature Request: Fill-in-the-Blank Question Type

greetings

if we add <lcFillin> as an additional interaction type, would that now make 4 interaction types using the same content model? (truefalse, singleselect, multipleselect and fillin).

if so...would suggest consolidating each type as attributes on one wrapper element.

wayne

From: john_hunt@us.ibm.com [mailto:john_hunt@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Mon 1/21/2008 10:47 AM
To: Eliot Kimber
Cc: dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Elliot -

Thanks for this suggestion.

We based the 6 interactions on IMS QTI Lite and group experience. We considered including a fill-in item, but did not, in good part because it is not included in the QTI lite set. For info on QTI and QTI Lite, see http://www.imsglobal.org/question/.

However, the full QTI does include a fill-in type question, which they call text entry. See the example - http://www.imsglobal.org/question/qti_v2p0/examples/items/text_Entry.xml.

First, we need to distinguish a text fill-in from a multiple select with a blank spot in a statement and a set of choices.

In that case, we might have a single-select item about the first President of the United States like this:

<lcSingleSelect>

  <title>Multiple choice</title>
  <lcQuestion>_____ was the first President of the United States.</lcQuestion>
  <lcQuestionOptions>
     <lcQuestionOption>
      <lcOptionContent>Adams</lcOptionContent>
      <lcFeedback>Close, but try again.</lcFeedback>
     </lcQuestionOption>
     <lcQuestionOption>
       <lcOptionContent>Washington</lcOptionContent>
       <lcCorrectResponse/>
     </lcQuestionOption>
     <lcQuestionOption>
       <lcOptionContent>Bush</lcOptionContent>
       <lcFeedback>Not even close!</lcFeedback>
     </lcQuestionOption>
  </lcQuestionOptions>
</lcSingleSelect>

Second, for a fill-in, how about this extremely simple alternative?

<lcFillin>
  <title>U.S. Presidents</title>
  <lcQuestion>
    <lcCorrectResponse>Washington<lcCorrectResponse> was the first President of the United States.
  </lcQuestion>
<lcFillin>

It has these virtues:

- seems to provide all of the necessary information - where to insert the blank spot on rendering, and the correct text to match.
- only introduces one new element to the interactions domain - lcFillin.

Issues:
- QTI provides additional details for the text entry responses - max length, alternative correct answers. To accomodate alternative answers, we could allow for multiple <lcCorrectResponse> elements, though we would need to specify if they were for multiple fill-in responses, or alternatives for a single fill-in.

What do you think?

John
John Hunt
DITA Architect / Lotus Information Development Center
Chair, OASIS DITA learning and training content sub-committee
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
john_hunt@us.ibm.com