Subject: Technical Comments on Mark 8 LC Declarations

Based on an initial review of the doctypes in the March 8 distribution I
have the following comments on the declarations (as opposed to the
abstract design):

- All elements that are likely targets for use via conref (which may be
all of them) should have completely optional content so that conreffing
elements do not have to include otherwise ignored subelements. There
should not be an expectation that the standard types as declared will be
directly usable for authoring, or rather, the expectation should be that
appropriate constraints will be imposed via other means. The spec itself
should state in prose what the constraints *would be* if XML let you
condition content rules based on the specification of an attribute.

- I would like to have an "abstract" base type from which all the
assessment types are derived so that it is possible to identify an
assessment as an assessment without having to check it's specific type,
e.g.:

<!ELEMENT lcAssessmentBase
   ANY

<!ATTLIST lcAssessmentBase
   class
     CDATA "+ topic/fig learning-d/lcAssessmentBase "

And then specific types would be:

<!ATTLIST lcTrueFalse %global-atts;
     class
  CDATA "+ topic/fig learning-d/lcAssessmentBase learning-d/lcTrueFalse "

(This would be consistent with the existence of the learningBase topic
type.)

- Should learningBase have a shell? It seems to be an "abstract" type
that exists only to serve as the base for the more specialized learning
topic types (good) but it's not clear that it would ever be appropriate
to author directly at the learningBase level.

- Question and answer elements (e.g., lcQuestion, lcOpenAnswer) are
currently specialized from "p". I know going in that this is too
restrictive--I have questions and answers that require multiple paras. I
think the more appropriate specialization base would be the proposed 1.2
"container" element. It would allow multiple paras (or even
(%ph.cnt;)*|(%p.cnt;)*).

- lcAsset should be repeatable where it is allowed.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
Eliot Kimber