Subject: Implications of Subcomponents of lcBase Not Being Topics

I'm starting a project with a publisher of test prep books. These
consist of practice tests and lessons with most of the content being
individual questions.

One chief business goal is to be able to have a database of individual
questions that can then be used directly or by tracked copy into
different publications. For example, each U.S. state may have its own
version of the 8th Grade Language Arts test prep where the questions are
essentially same across all the states but other content is state
specific. Or the same question may be applicable to several different
grade levels.

I would like to make the XML application we develop for this client at
least DITA compatible if not directly DITA based.

To that end I've pulled down the March 8 learning SC plugin and I'm
looking at it.

I had the possibly naive expectation that each question would be a topic
but I see that questions are subelements within a specialization of
section.

The immediate challenge I see is that if questions are not topics in
their own right there is no good DITA-conforming way to manage
individual questions as individual storage objects--they have to be
stored within a topic even if the intent is to use conref to get them.

This suggests that in my case the only solution would be to create a
topic type whose only purpose is to hold a single question. That doesn't
seem like a necessarily bad thing, if for no other reason than that it
provides a way to bind a title and specialized metadata to the question.

The counter question is "if questions were topics what would their
titles be?" I suspect the SC has already chewed on that question. The
only answers I could come up with were "The question statement is the
title" and "something descriptive of the learning objective the question
assesses, e.g. "Multiply two two-digit numbers" or "Identify the subject
and object of a sentence".

Has anyone else thought about the question-level re-use use case where
each question should be (or may need to be) managed independently of all
other questions?

Cheers,

Eliot

--