Subject: Re: [dita-learningspec] Real-World Implementation Report

john_hunt@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Eliot -
>
> Thanks so much for sharing this detailed usage report.
>
> This is indeed good and encouraging that the learning interactions
> domain provides a solid starting point for your more specialized
> interactions.
>
> I have a couple of questions for you -
>
> 1) is it safe to assume that processing for your specialized
> interactions could also build from the base interactions, or would you
> anticipate the need for a completely new set of specialized processing?
> On this front, by next Thursday I expect to have some basic interactions
> processing for true/false and singleSelect, and it will be interesting
> to see if that holds up with your specialized forms.

My expectation is that I should be able to leverage processing for the
learning base types for the most part, at least for some things.

One difference in my case is that my <question> container is the level
at which question numbering is bound, rather than at the lcInteraction
level, so assuming that the base Learning processing expected to number
the lcSingleSelect element, I would have to override that.

> 2) are there additional elements or attributes you need in the base set
> for specializing?  For example, data is available in most places, but it
> looks like you're using some other 1.2 elements. We need to be sure that
> the base design makes available/does not exclude anything that might be
> needed for a custom design.

I haven't found anything so far.

The only thing I've needed from 1.2 is <container> since I need to have
nested groupings of untitled things (which means I can't use <section>
for both <question_group> and <question>, for example). Otherwise, the
current design seemed to be sufficient, given that <data> is allowed
where I need it to be.

> Again - thanks for sharing the report. Looks like we have the basis for
> a good usage endorsement here.

I hope so.

Cheers,

E.