Subject: Re: [dita-learningspec] Design of Learning Map Topicrefs: Why NoSubordinate Refs?

Eliot,

Thanks for bringing this up.

The subcommittee had a lot of discussion about the structure of the learning map elements. We ended up agreeing on a design restricts nesting of these specialized learning topicrefs for at least two reasons.

#1 - We wanted to explicitly use the Learning Map to support a learning objects approach to structuring DITA topics into discrete, well-defined collections of content that support specific learning objectives.

#2 - We wanted to follow best practices for SCORM delivery, which requires all content in leaf nodes and thus works best with a flat list of content within a single learning object. See minutes of one of the discussions  here - http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-learningspec/email/archives/200801/msg00002.html.

For everyone's review, here's my summary of the design, how the restrictions work, and where there's room for flexibility.

Design of the Learning Map domain
The Learning Map domain provides a set of specialized topic references for structuring and sequencing references to DITA content according to a learning objects approach. While the topic references are designed for use with the specialized learning topic types, you can use them to structure DITA content of any type into learning objects and learning groups.

By defining this as map domain, we're able to make these learning map structures available to any type of DITA map, including the base map and specialized OASIS bookmap.

A learningObject restricts the sequence of topic references, as follows:

* learningObject
* learningPlanRef (zero or one)
* learningOverviewRef or learningPreAssessmentRef (zero or more)
* learningContentRef (one or more)
* learningPostAssessmentRef or learningSummaryRef (zero or more)

A learningGroup lets you group learningObjects into higher levels of organization.

* learningGroup
* learningPlanRef (zero or one)
* learningOverviewRef or learningPreAssessmentRef (zero or more)
* learningObject or learningGroup (zero or more)
* learningPostAssessmentRef or learningSummaryRef (zero or more)

So, learningGroup provides *some* flexibility for structuring content into groups and sub-groups. Since learningContentRef is the only required element in a learningObject, you *could* use a series of learningGroups and learningObjects to nest learningContentRefs to any level you want.

But the explicit intent of the design was to place restrictions on the structure of a learningObject. We did not want to open up learningContentRef, for example, to the unlimited nesting allowed with topicref.

In sum,

As one piece of input, in the pilot work we have underway IBM, we've found that learningGroup and learningObject actually work quite well. First of all, they actually do map very closely to the course content. And second, feedback so far is that they provide good guidance and support developing well-structured learning and training content according to the existing guidelines.

What are others finding?

In what places and how would you want to loosen the restrictions?

Thanks.

John

John Hunt
Chair, OASIS DITA Learning and Training Content Specialization Sub-Committee

Structured Content Architect / Lotus Information Development Center
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
john_hunt@us.ibm.com