Subject: Re: [dita-learningspec] Design of Learning Map Topicrefs: Why NoSubordinate Refs?

On 6/29/09 7:39 AM, "john_hunt@us.ibm.com" <john_hunt@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to both Eliot and Reuben for the good comments and exchange.
>
> I have a couple of replies and a proposal.
>
> Eliot asks:
>>> if I don't use learning map domain topicrefs to
> construct my learning content (but do using learning domain topic types,
> assessments, etc.) will the out-of-the-box SCORM generation work, assuming
> I've met any necessary constraints, such as specifying chunking so that
> the
> HTML result conforms to SCORM constraints?
> <<
>
> The map2scorm.xsl available with the current set of sample content only
> processes content that uses the specialized learning map topic references
> of learningGroup, learningObject, etc. It won't work with general
> topicrefs.

> Those samples are here -
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/32666/dita12learningsamples.
> zip%3Cbr%20/%3E
> .
>
> It would be possible, I would think, to develop generalized map2scorm
> processing that could accommodate topicrefs in an unconstrained map, but
> you would need to make some assumptions about things like where in the map
> structure the SCO's begin and end.

Hmmm. I think I understand the issue: a SCORM producer has to know what map
components map to leaf-level SCORM chunks (and I presume other
SCORM-specific components).

> Eliot suggests:
>>>
> One thing that might be interesting would be to set a default value of
> "to-content" for @chunk on the learningContentRef topicref and then allow
> subordinate topicrefs (e.g. %topicref;). That would have the effect of
> producing the SCORM-required output structure by default.
> <<
>
> I like this a lot.
>
> However, I'd suggest restricting the subordinate topicrefs to
> learningContentRef.
>
> Opening them to %topicref; would make all of the specialized learning map
> references available, since they're defined as domain specializations of
> topicref. That could become quite messy, even (or perhaps more so) if the
> chunk="to-content" collapses them all to a single output file.

> So, if I understand correctly, the proposal is to keep the same design for
> learningObject:
>
> * learningObject
>    * learningPlanRef (zero or one)
>    * learningOverviewRef or learningPreAssessmentRef (zero or more)
>    * learningContentRef (one or more)
>    * learningPostAssessmentRef or learningSummaryRef (zero or more)
>

> And then I suggest amending Eliot's suggestion and propose extending the
> design for learningContentRef to
>
> a) set default of chunk="to-content" and
>
> b) allow zero or more child learningContentref elements,
>
> as follows:
>
>       <!ELEMENT learningContentRef    ((%topicmeta;)?,
> (%learningContentRef;)*) >

Allowing learningContentRef to nest recursively I think satisfies my
requirement to be able to compose learning objects from subordinate topics.

I think that all the currently leaf-level topicrefs should allow nested
learningContentRef so that, for example, I can have a pre- or
post-assessment that is composed of subordinate topics. Not sure how that
plays with SCORM but it certainly makes sense for printed tests, where
groups of questions can be organized into arbitrary hierarchies.

And a reminder that DITA 1.2 constraint modules can re-impose constraints
that are more relaxed in the base module, so that you can provide a default
or example constraint module that reflects the original design.

Cheers,

E.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>