Subject: Procedure for converting OU XML to DITA L&T

For those interested, the procedure for transforming Open University XML courseware to DITA Learning and Training is:

* Download an OU XML Package from http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/ (probably the easiest site to find OU XML). For a particular course, under Alternative Formats in the left panel, select "Download this unit" link. A page appears with various download formats, including OU XML. Download the OU XML Package.

* Unzip the package.

* Inside the package, locate an XML file with the name of the course. This is where the text content of the course is stored. Copy the OU XML file to a working area.

* From your working folder, run Eliot's ou2dita.xsl transform (http://dita4publishers.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dita4publishers/trunk/xslt/ou2dita/).

  Sample command line using Saxon from DITA OT: java -jar D:\DITA\DITA-OT1.5.M22.Test\lib\saxon\saxon9.jar -s:MU120_4M2.xml -xsl:ou2dita.xsl

  java -jar D:\DITA\DITA-OT1.5.M22.Test\lib\saxon\saxon9.jar calls the Saxon XSL processor jar on my system with Java. -s:MU120_4M2.xml calls the particular OU XML source file. -xsl:ou2dita.xsl calls Eliot's transform to run on the source file. (In this example, you must have the Open Toolkit and Java already installed.) You can use any valid XSL processor.

The transform will generate a series of output folders and files with base DITA Learning and Training XML ready for further work. The transform clearly saves a lot of time for getting sample L&T formatted content.

I'm currently playing around with the transform output to see how best to package and present it for our samples.

Troy

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Troy Klukewich | Information Architect | 408.872.0228
Oracle Tax and Utilities Global Business Unit