Subject: DITA learning and training content sub-committee - work complete!

Dear DITA Learning and Training content sub-committee,

With the long-awaited, much-anticipated OASIS approval of the DITA 1.2 specification, the work of the DITA Learning and Training content sub-committee is complete.

The sub-committee formed in August, 2006. We worked intensely over the next 18 months to iron out the specifics for a general top-level design for structured, intent-based authoring of learning content with good learning architecture, following DITA principles and best practices.  The results are a set of DITA specializations that now make up the OASIS DITA 1.2 Learning and Training Specialization.

Here's a summary of what this specialization provides:
   1. offers a starter set of specialized topic types that support structured, intent-based authoring of content for learning and training, including assessments
   2. provides a map domain for structuring the specialized learning topics as reusable learning objects, and for managing the linking and relationships among them
   3. includes a starter set of commonly-used learning interactions and an assessment topic type, for use in testing and assessment
   4. provides support for learning metadata based on the IEEE standard for learning objects metadata (LOM), for use in both topics and maps

For more information, including links to sample content, see the sub-committee home page - http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita-learningspec.

At this point, I consider that work of the sub-committee complete.

I'll be reporting this back to the DITA Technical Committee at the regular TC meeting next Tuesday, along with the recommendation that the sub-committee officially disband. As new requirements for additional support for learning and training content emerge in the DITA 1.3, then a new sub-committee may form to develop and promote them.

As sub-committee chair, I extend a very warm thank you to all of the members, past and present, who contributed to the success of this activity.

I also thank the many vendors and supporting partners.

I look forward to working with the DITA Adoption TC to help promote awareness and adoption of the new specialization.

Sincerely,

John Hunt, IBM

Chair, DITA 1.2 Learning and Training content specialization sub-committee