Subject: Re: [dita-learningspec] New Interaction Specialization Proposal: In Progress

Thanks so much, Eliot!

I've also had regrets from Amber Swope, Dawn Stevens, Scott Hudson, so will cancel today's meeting.

I'll get on the call at the start, due to the short notice.

Thanks.

John

John P. Hunt
Senior Software Engineer / DITA Architect
IBM Collaboration Solutions | User Experience: Design and Information Excellence
john_hunt@us.ibm.com | 978.899.2394; t/l 276.2394

Join our community | Team blog | Product Wikis

550 King Street
Littleton, MA 01460
USA

From:        Eliot Kimber <ekimber@reallysi.com>
To:        "dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org" <dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        03/08/2012 09:54 AM
Sent by:        <dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org>

I can't make today's meeting, but I told John I would prepare a proposal for
a new interaction specialization. I've fallen behind and won't be able to
get it done for today's meeting but I will have it in advance of next weeks.

In terms of approach, there are really only two options:

1. Specialize from <fig> as for the current lcInteractionBase, but allow
multiple paragraphs where appropriate as we've discussed. This allows for
<title> as <fig> allows title.

2. Specialize from 1.3 <div>. This is more flexible but does not allow
<title>. We would have to provide a new element to hold question "titles"
(e.g., something like <lcQuestionLabel> specialized from topic/p).

Note that it is not possible to use <sectiondiv> as the base for
interactions because that would then require them to occur in sections,
which is not an acceptable requirement. Likewise, <bodydiv> would disallow
questions in sections, also not acceptable. Thus the new <div> for 1.3,
which is allowed in both body and section.

I have been working with one of my textbook-producing clients on
understanding what they mean by "question title". So far we've determined
that what they call "title" is really a classifier that often, but not
always, happens to reflect the title of the section of the textbook the
question applies to, e.g., "Batting stance" or "Physiology" or whatever, but
that it is not semantically a title for the question, that is, a
distinguishing label. In their case, often multiple questions have the same
"title", which means it can't be a title in the sense normally meant in
DITA.

However, I'm waiting on additional examples to verify that they do not have
a case of questions with true titles.

--
Eliot Kimber
Senior Solutions Architect