Subject: RE: [dita-learningspec] Groups - HTML for the DITA 1.3 stage 3 proposal 13089 - learningObjectMap and learningGroupMap uploaded

Mark,

I’ve reviewed your documents and thought that you had proposed to also relax the structure of the <learningObject> element, but I didn’t see that in your proposal. Specifically, I need to create a collection of questions in a separate learning map and cannot do this cleanly with the current map definition because <learningObject> requires additional elements. If I use <learningPostAssessment>, then I have to include empty <learningOverviewRef> or <learningPreAssessmentRef> and <learningContentRef>. Or I have to use a regular DITA map and forego using the <lom> elements…

I’m curious if anyone else has run into this and if so, how did you solve it?

DITA 1.2

Desired DITA 1.3

<!ENTITY % learningObject.content
     "((%topicmeta;)?,
       (%learningPlanRef;)?,
       ((%learningOverviewRef;) |
        (%learningPreAssessmentRef;))*,
      (%learningContentRef;)+,
       ((%learningPostAssessmentRef;) |
        (%learningSummaryRef;))*)"

<!ENTITY % learningObject.content
     "((%topicmeta;)?,
       (%learningPlanRef;)?,
       (%learningOverviewRef;)?,
      (%learningPreAssessmentRef;)?,
      (%learningContentRef;)?,
       (%learningPostAssessmentRef;)?,
       (%learningSummaryRef;))"

<map>
  <title>Quiz</title>

  <learningObject>

<learningOverviewRef/>

<learningContentRef/>

<learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques1"/>
    <learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques2"/>
    <learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques3"/>
    <learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques4"/>
    <learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques5"/>

</learningObject>
</map>

<map>
  <title>Quiz</title>

  <learningObject>

<learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques1"/>
    <learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques2"/>
    <learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques3"/>
    <learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques4"/>
    <learningPostAssessmentRef href="ques5"/>

</learningObject>
</map>

The implications of relaxing the <learningObject> would be:

·         Doesn’t support instructional design best practices for unit

·         Allows flexible reusable units for creating assessment units

Eventually, I’d like to see some better assessment support, but that’s not happening in DITA 1.3.

Thanks, Amber