Subject: ADL ImplementationFest

Greetings,

See link to ADL ImplementationFest: http://www.adlnet.gov/announcing-ifest-2017

I have a call into one of the event coordinators about agenda, poster session, and booth availability. I put forth the DITA LearningSpec topic as a potential agenda item dependent upon someone able to deliver a presentation.

Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Scott Hudson
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2017 11:07 AM
To: dita-learningspec@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [dita-learningspec] Minutes: 05JUN2017

Roll call:

Dawn Stevens

Wayne Gafford

Mark Myers

Scott Hudson

Brigit Strackenbrock

John Hunt

Doug Burgess

Minutes:

1.	Meeting Time, Date and Frequency?

	a.	Tuesdays at 10a Pacific, bi-weekly
	b.	Next meeting: 20JUN2017 @10a Pacific

2.	Changes coming in DITA 2.0

	a.	Decoupling of specializations/SC work, such that updates can be delivered separate from the main spec schedule.
	b.	L&T Spec will be delivered as a separate document, but still must be reviewed and accepted by the full DITA TC.
	c.	2.0 is the opportunity to break compatibility changes if deemed absolutely necessary. Still need a migration plan to address any compatibility issues.

3.	Current state/issues and observations:

	a.	Birgit - Having 2 sets of elements is a usability issue. Need to do some cleanup.

                                                              i.      Propose to remove the older elements, (use the "2" models, but the original element names)

                                                            ii.      Release an "identity transform" stylesheet to help assist with migration

	b.	Birgit – Want some more question types, like fill in the blanks, gap match, etc.
	c.	Mark – Do we have any design goals or patterns that should be taken into account?

                                                              i.      Modularization of the schemas

                                                            ii.      Map design impacts

                                                          iii.      Lightweight DITA impacts?

1.      topic types

2.      interactions

	d.	John – Take a fresh look at the topic and map types and see if there are any new needs/use cases, and if there are any to improve, esp. interactions (orig. based on QTI)

                                                              i.      QTI has had a lot of updates, so worth taking a new look

                                                            ii.      LOM metadata. Is it used or can it be improved?

                                                          iii.      What is in use, and what isn't? Opportunity to simplify.

	e.	Mark - SCORM was one of the original targets, but should look at newer standards like TinCan, or more microformat learning, and other modern trends.
	f.	Birgit – who is this specialization intended for? Education vs Training. Are there different needs that should be accommodated? What about
	g.	Output support – SCORM vs other output needs
	h.	Member outreach – how do we recruit more representation and involvement? Who should be involved?

                                                              i.      ADL implementation fest in Virginia in July. Might be a good time to raise awareness! Good time to persuade ADL, too.

1.      Wayne – might still be room in the program to present

                                                            ii.      What other learning standards or organizations do we need to be aware of?

1.      Dawn – eLearning Guild

	i.	Wayne – US Navy has applied a lot of the original structures into S1000D.

                                                              i.      Long term architecture at ADL is the Total Learning Architecture (intended to be the plumbing for learning path tracking and record stores)

                                                            ii.      S1000D learning module/schemas are looking at the "digital thread", from requirements through support, performance and the data products that support the thread (embed schemas into the larger digital thread), including the learning metrics.

1.      Doug – Sounds more like portfolio management? Concern about the scope of what we should address as an SC.

	j.	SAP willing to act as a demo representative to showcase how DITA Learning can be used.
	k.	Dawn – still see a desire to have more presentational control. How do we address?
	l.	Scott – what about tools support? Are there features we might see in Articulate, Captivate, etc. that could be supported in the spec?

                                                              i.      Dawn – Need to try to get some tool vendor representation

                                                            ii.      Birgit – Works closely with a tool vendor (Fonto) that implemented L&T. (esp interactions)

	m.	Mark – contributions to the DITA-OT? If we can do some refinements, maybe that would help with reference implementation and adoption?

3.	Action items:

	a.	Dawn to create OASIS calendar invite and agenda for future meetings
	b.	Wayne to send info about ADL Implementation Fest and contact for program

4.	Next meeting: 20JUN2017, 10a Pacific

Thanks and best regards,

--Scott

Scott Hudson
Content Strategist

Digital Aviation Learning & Development

Voting member:

Boeing Data Standards Technical Advisory Board

OASIS DocBook TC, Publishers SC (Chair)

OASIS DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LW DITA SC, Learning Content SC (Secretary)

OASIS DITA Adoption TC

OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC

Jeppesen  |  Digital Aviation  |  Boeing

55 Inverness Drive East | Englewood, CO 80112 | www.jeppesen.com <http://www.jeppesen.com/>

This document contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations.